1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rust

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by anz27, Feb 3, 2014.

1. anz27

anz27 Member

This not truck repair, which is why it is under commercial snow removal. I figured this is the best place for this thread because as you commercial guys know how bad that 4 letter words is. How are you all fighting/preventing it? I live near Pittsburgh and the day after it snows your colored vehicle is now repainted to white. As a result, even the radio is rusting!!! (Not really, joke intended for those who missed it). I want to know REAL stuff that works and people who have had great success with it. I've searched left, right, up, down, backwards and forwards. I have come up with mixed ideas. I have some homemade waxoyl and am looking for something to test it on before i go and spray entire vehicles. So guys, what have you all had success with/doing?

2. NicholasMWhite

NicholasMWhite Senior Member

I can't vouch for it's long term efficacy but after loosing my last work truck to rust and buying my first new truck last summer I thoroughly soaked everything with this: http://www.tptools.com/TP-Tools-Wax-Based-Permanent-Rustproofing-Coating-Gallon,7387.html?b=s*wax . I looked at many reviews on it, along with similar products, and the overall consensus was positive. I applied it with an eastwood undercoating gun (http://www.eastwood.com/undercoating-gun-and2-hoses-bottle.html) and used under a gallon doing a single cab long bed truck. Took me about 2-2.5 hours and for the minimal cost I figure I'll do it every three years or so. Hopefully it works.

3. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Keep the truck oil'd and keep the salt off the truck!

4. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Exactly how do you keep salt off of a truck that you plow commercially with? Or for that matter, even if you drive it on public roads in the Winter.

5. gtmustang00

from Berlin

Right after the storm the truck comes home and gets hand washed, then goes up on the lift and gets pressure washed. Then i hit the common rust areas with fluid film. So far so good. Holes have been drilled in the wheel wells, rockers, cab corners, doors, etc. Oil gets sprayed in there then put a rubber plug in the hole.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  6. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

That may work where you live, but it hasn't gotten above freezing here in I don't know how long, so you can't take your truck to a car wash without having the entire thing be coated in a sheet of ice before you leave.

7. gtmustang00

from Berlin

I have a heated garage.

8. elitelawnteam1

elitelawnteam1 Senior Member

Best part of washing when its below freezing, is when you park your truck afterwards and when you go to drive it, you hear a crack of all the ice that glazed over all the moving parts.

9. anz27

anz27 Member

Sounds like that works good, but I do not have the luxury of having a heated garage. Im wondering if I use an oil underneath, such as homemade waxoyl (1/2 gal mineral spirits, 1lb paraffin wax, 1 qt chain and bar oil) that it will wash off quickly if I wash the underneath 4-5 times a week? Any ideas? I think in the spring im going to paint all the rust with POR 15. How do you all treat the inside of the frame? Its almost sickening what we pay for equipment just to have it eaten away by salt. I guess that's the price you pay to play.wesportpayup

10. gtmustang00

from Berlin

Bar and chain oil works great. Heat it up to thin in out then spray through a paint gun. The complete underside gets coated in oil. Sucks to work on but better than dealing with rust.

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sell it in 5 yrs.

12. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Everyone here says fluid film it

13. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I wash the truck after every storm. I put on rain gear and lay on the ground and spray the whole underside. I've done it regardless of the temp. Then I go through the tunnel. This truck has the rust proofing on the frame from the factory but I still fluid film it. Inside the front chrome bumper traps salt so I make sure to get that too. I don't like using the motor oil or bar oil once it gets wet you have rainbows under your truck every where.

14. anz27

anz27 Member

If you all are using Fluid Film, how is it working for you? My main thing is that I want something to last a year. Does FF really last all year long? I just cant imagine that it stays intact in areas where water is constantly being thrown from the tires.

15. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Rust? I protect it not prevent it. It's the 1 thing that holds my old truck together!

16. gtmustang00

from Berlin

It doesn't last that long in my experience and that's why I only use it as touch up.

17. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

If you do get a nicer day out or have a heated shop you could put one of the lawn sprinklers under the truck for a few hours. You need the sprinkler that has the 12 or so jets that fans up and back and forth. We used to do this for the mud trucks to clean the undercarriage.

I read in Diesel Power Mag that when it's real cold out the rust slows down a lot. The rust needs moisture to start corroding and at low temps the rust doesn't have any moisture to work with.

18. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

What works well for me;

Start off with an asphalt undercoating. Nice and thick. Best if done when the vehicle is still new.
    Then, just before every winter, take a 50/50 mix of nice fresh 10w30 and CRC 5-56 or similar. Put that mix in a spray bottle and get to soaking all the asphalt undercoating. Keeps it gooey all winter.

19. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I touch things up also, fluid film doesn't seem to stick like oil does.