1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by cti531, Sep 17, 2010.

1. cti531

cti531 Member

I realize that stainless isn't supposed to rust or tarnish but I have also heard stories that say it can. My question is, has anyone here had a SnowDogg for a few years now (not sure how long they have been around)? How does it look, any signs of tarnish or rust?

I love Western plows but they rust so damn fast (yes I know it isn't a beauty contest...but I like to keep my stuff looking nice too) and I have been hearing good things about SnowDogg recently and am at least considering it as an option now.
  2. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

The 304 stainless used by Buyers/SnowDogg can't really rust. If you ever see a stainless steel spreader (for example) with what looks like rust in spots, it is cross contamination from carbon steel - either from tooling (brake press tooling for example) or from welding being done nearby (or carbon steel).

This contamination can create surface rust that can be cleaned with scotch-brite/brillo pad's and regular stainless cleaner. Left alone, it is purely cosmetic and would never rust through (like you a see on a lot of older steel plows)

If you care enough, you can keep a SnowDogg plow looking like a stainless steel refrigerator door... Otherwise, it will look the same in 5 years as it looks affter the first year. Stainless oxidizes, but it doesn't create orange rust, just a film which is what protects it from further corrosion. Aluminum is similar - it develops a slightly chalky film (that's aluminum oxide).

If anyone is using cheaper stainless (lower nickel content) - that can rust and discolor much worse. Since Buyers uses so much stainless, we use only 304 in all of our products. The other grades just aren't as good, and it's not worth the trade off.
  3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

This will be my 2nd season on my Dogg. The blade still looks like new, although it does have some of the spots Scott is talking about. The powdercoating is still looking good, got a few spots of rust there just from general use. Nothing a can of black rustoleum cant fix:) Just need to find a decent cleaner to shine it back up before it gets the annual fluidfilm coat before the snow flies
  4. mr plowman

mr plowman Junior Member

its all in how you take care of them they need love too washyour plow and spray it down a couple times a year with fluid film or equilivant they do clean up easy
  5. cti531

cti531 Member

Awesome guys!!! Thank you very much for all the insight. I am going to seriously look at these plows. My dealer says he should have some in next week.