1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rust: Test

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by KCAPXIS, Dec 22, 2014.

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

Trying to see which paint works best ?

Applied by brush to bed of salt truck ,
    The only prep was with a hot water pressure washer n soap

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

Would only let me post one picture

This is the test area

3. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

Interesting to see the results. I know POR 15 will break down in direct sunlight from the UV rays so will this be in the sun?
  4. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Yes, and if you don't prep the surface according to the instructions, you won't get full potential out of the coating. Cool test tho, will follow for results.
  5. 97pwagon

97pwagon Junior Member

Paint test how about chassis saver

You should add chassis saver by magnet paint company they make their own product unlike por15 and I have read good things about this product going to try it on my plow as soon as I get it sandblasted and on my truck frame and under body in the spring. Also they claim it will fade alittle with uv exposure but it doesn't affect rust prevention. Wonder if any body else on forum has tried it ?
  6. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 Senior Member

Gotta top coat that stuff or it will flake off if left out in the sun.
  7. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I've been through a couple gallons.Works okay,no miracle coating though.Extremly thick,tough to brush,will run if to thick.They sell a thinner if you want to spray.
  8. Pit Crew

Pit Crew Senior Member

Have to top coat por 15 also. Just fluid film a section also.
  9. AccuCon

AccuCon Senior Member
    from CT

I'm voting on the CAT!

Whatever the previous owner of my spreader used is flaking off Im going to assume he didnt top coat, since it does not appear that way...Would one need to apply a top coat on say the aerosol spray undercoating (like the rust-oleum stuff)?

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

Por 15 is not UV stable , I know , but as I have not seen the sun in several days . Not worried about fade ..
    As for the prep, or better the lack there of .. As we address the rust that is in our truck frames , proper and through prep is not always an option .

Trying to find the best bang for the buck to address rust issues ,

I will keep every one updated with my findings !!

Merry Christmas every one !!
  11. AccuCon

AccuCon Senior Member
    from CT

You mean real world application and not a clean room in a lab????!!! Brilliant!!!

Not everyone can strip the truck down to the frame, bead blast it, prime it, etc...