1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rust Stains on Concrete???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Trike1, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Trike1

Trike1 Junior Member
    from wis

Talked to loyal high end customer today about snow removal and he brought up his concern with rust stains in his concrete drive. He thought it must be from the shoes. He was going to wait untill after this winter to have them acided off.

Is anyone familair with this problem? Any thoughts/ideas would be greatfull. Obviously a urathane edge would help but if its from the shoes(This is a vplow-which requires shoes more than straight blades) that wouldn't help. Could obviously take off shoes, but would the blade cause the same problem?

2. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Does he have an irrigation system?? If so is it on a well?? Might he be getting overspray from the system onto the concrete?? We have lots of rust on our concrete walks on campus and it is not from plows it is from the rust in the well water.

3. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Whoever did him in the past (You?) either did him first stop of the day and or didnt scuff the shoes before going on the drive.

When the blade sits, or the shoes sit for a while they get rusty, and the first stop will wear it off but often transfer to the pavement....Not a bad Idea to use a little steel wool on the blade edge and shoes bottom or at least run them over the street to clean the rust off.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  4. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

:dizzy:

What?This guy is claiming you put rust stains on his drive from plowing it?BS. Unless you let your plow sit in his driveway all summer.

RCGM
    Brad

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I want to be there when you rub steel wool on the cutting edge:dizzy:

Just drop plow, and drive for a few feet before you plow and all of the rust will be gone in a second.

I'm still curious how a plow could leave so much rust on a drive to stain it??
    I live in a salt belt and I have never experienced this?

6. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

im not letting you watch me Rub, anything.

Least not for free. Its a seperate charge.

:)

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Here's what I do for the exact same reason,drop the blade while on the way to the first job.I do this sometime's to clean the rust off the shoe's after the plow's been setting for a while.30mph for a couple hundred feet clean's the rust right off! :D Work's good for breaking in a new cutting edge too.

8. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

That's why I said BS .I got rust stains 2 spots on my driveway and have no idea how they got there.I have been plowing for years and never seen rust spots on a drive from a plow.

RCGM
    Brad

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Trike,did you plow this driveway before. Is he saying that YOU could of caused the stains? Did you see the stains? If they were just a round stain and not two parallel streaks then they can't be from plow shoe's.

10. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

80% of my concrete drives have stains and they are not from my shoes as I do not run shoes. There are steaks up and down in straight lines and drives we use the back plows on are worse. Anytime metal makes contact with concrete, it shaves off metal particles and they stick to the concrete and in time it begins to rust. It is even noticeable on blacktop over time, if the blacktop is not sealed. If you think i'm full of it, then your cutting edge should last forever.

My contracts clearly state: Not responsible for any damage to concrete or blacktop due to plowing- ie. cracks,chips,rust etc. Not exact wording but I don't feel like moving right now.

11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Do you really think ( I guess you do ) that you wear that much steel off of the edge when you plow a drive. to cause rust stains?
    How many edges do you go through a year?

I doubt it builds up though as the weather, driving, and the repeated scraping of the blade would remove any residue left by your plow.

The sealcoat is scrapped off by plowing. So I doubt there would be any buildup left there ether.

I think the people who poured the concrete did not get the mesh pushed down into the concrete far enough and it is leaching out the surface.. Just a guess.......

I'm very skeptical...

12. pagelandscape

pagelandscape Junior Member
    from 48336

I have an old Snoway plow on my truck and it rests on my concrete driveway all night when not in use. The drive is fairly steep, and the stains - they look like rust, but could be some other kind of stain - are clearly visible and clearly a result of something on my plow. They run right down the driveway for about 2 feet, starting right under the plow. Not a damn thing I can do about them, either. Too busy to bother anyway.

13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

O.k. From storing the plow....All summer sitting on the concrete...
    Yea, I can see that happening.

I thought we were talking about rest stains from just plowing someones drive???

14. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i have seen rust stains on certain concrete driveways from plowing. not to many drives though, and i know its not from irrigation, its to consistent down the whole driveway.

15. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

I 100% argee with Earthscapes, last year was my first year with a back plow. I have a few driveways with rust marks that occured over the last season. I never noticed them before when I was just using my front plow. I guess all the downpresure from the back plow leaves metal filings embedded in the driveway surface and then over time they rust.

16. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

SnoFarmer:

I've been plowing for 16 yrs in this area and the rusting is only getting worse not better. Years ago when I ran lightweight Meyers 7'6" plows we never had as much of a problem. Now switching over to backblades with downpressure and heavy front plows it only makes matters worse. Thats the whole reason I changed my contracts over the years, not to be responsible for rusting.

As far as the edges go:

My driveway truck (the 90') goes through 1 front plow edge per season, with an average of 25-30 plow events. The backplow gets about 60- 70 events or a couple years as it's not used as much. The truck covers 103 driveways on it's route. We plow 81 concrete drives and 34 blacktop. I use 1/2" thick egdes on all my plows.
    I plow the other 12 drives and 13 1/4 to 1 arce commercials. My route is all blacktop except for 1 concrete driveway. I'm on my 3rd season with the same Boss edge.
    I truely believe concrete wears an edge out quicker than blacktop and I will until someone proves me wrong.

The backplow is used on 36 driveways and the rest are pushers. The only concrete drives that do not have stains are one's that were put in within the last 2 years or 5 I can think of, that have so much sealer they are almost dangerous to drive on.

Plus the repeated scraping done by the blade would further intensify the rusting.
    I even have rust streaks on my concrete driveway at home. The driveway was put in 98'. I admit they are ugly and I haven't found a way to get rid of them.

Keith

17. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Could you get a pic?

Just notice the update... multi quote:waving:

18. rayf268

rayf268 Senior Member

my plow sits in my driveway all year when not on the truck . I have yet to see any rust from it sitting . :blush2:

19. Chuckie

Chuckie Member
    from PA

30 mph for a couple hundred feet.....LOL...... man I would hate to be you if you catch a manhole cover or something......going to have a permanent imprint of that stearing wheel on your chest....... LOL...... I know what its like to catch a curb at less than 10mph....so I can only imagine the fun you are going to have at 30mph :dizzy:

20. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

Sure You will get rust

What happens when you file a pc of steel In your vise??? you will get filings...throw them In water and theres your rust.
    The blades will drop some filings on the concrete...and could cause a problem...However, I think It could have been that the drive was one of the first plowed In that season...Like the others have said...run the plow a bit on the road safely:nod: ...that should take most of the summer sitting rust off the edge and the shoes.
    The trick that I do...since I,m out In the country ..I hit the dirt driveways first...on the first snow event...That seems to really polish the bottom of those shoes up