1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rust spots on cylinders

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by badranman, Feb 5, 2005.

1. badranman

badranman Senior Member

I did a search and couldn't find anything. What do you guys use to clean the cylinders of little rust spots/pits. I'm talking the little surface, almost pitted ones not the rusted through the chrome kind. I can get 95% of it off but it's the last 5% that's being a pain. I always coat them with rust check etc. after every use and grease them for the summer.

2. snow warrior

snow warrior Member

TRY STEEL WOOL OR EMERY CLOTH (LIGHTLY)ALSO MAKE SURE YOUR CYLINDER IS COMPLETELY DOWN WHEN NOT IN USE. :nono:

3. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Go to canadian tire and get a I think it's called never dull. It's in a blue can and is an impregnated material. The most amazing metal cleaner I have ever used. Great on rust. You will love it.

Sorry to say but never use steel wool or emery cloth on piston cyl's.

4. ToolMaker

ToolMaker Member

I agree with Bolts , I would not use something as aggressive as emery paper on my cylinders , you will go right thru the chrome ,then you will have some rust

5. badranman

badranman Senior Member

Snow Warrior, How do I have my angle cylinders closed both at the same time? :dizzy: Thanks Dave!

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

badranman

Buy a V blade. LOL

7. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

scotch brite

8. badranman

badranman Senior Member

Cet, true enough........ :eek:

9. b2driver

b2driver Member
    from MD

Damn, I always find out stuff too late because I don't ask. I used emory cloth on my lift cylinder because it wasn't well maintained by the previous owner. I guess it doesn't matter now, because the pump, lines for the angle cylinders and the lights were replaced with an improved set up.

But I won't use that emory cloth again.....

10. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

naval jelly

11. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

un bolt the extended one and then drain the fluid as you compress the cylinder.

Use steal wool or emery paper, don't wory about going through the crome, if you stop when the rust is gone. and if you still have rust and do go through the crome it was time to replace the cylinder anyway.

12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Clean them up with chrome polish then use, like rust reformer etc on the pits. This stuff turns it into a black non-rusted area. Like a painted pit. Less wear on seals.

13. badranman

badranman Senior Member

Dwan , thanks for the tip but I was talking about during the winter in between storms etc.

14. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Yep, Best stuff for removing rust on any chrome surface.

15. snow warrior

snow warrior Member

THANKS Dwan :waving:

SORRY BADRANMAN I THOUGHT YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT YOUR LIFT CYLINDER ! BECAUSE I'VE HAD TROUBLE WITH THAT AND THATS WHAT I DID TO FIX IT!!!! :salute: THAT WAS LAST DECEMBER AND I HAVEN'T HAD A PROBLEM SINCE :)

16. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

Angle ram

I believe I saw in Jthomas that an angle ram for a western unimount is $75.

I forgot to look what you had, if you said, but for 75, I would just clean up the best I could and leave it til it wears out. JMO

Jeff

17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I'll have to agree , the only reason you have rust is because there is small nicks (from hitting the ram with your shovel?) on the ram that go through the chrome finish. Just leave it alone it is cosmetic, unless the ram is leaking then you need to replace it. never sand on the ram... when storing it for the summer coat the rams with light grease.

18. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

cocacola works great, no joke.

19. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

The Discovery channel's Myth Busters proved that Coke doesn't remove rust.

20. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

It works fine for me on light stuff?