1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rust Rings

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by malibulxi, May 13, 2012.

1. malibulxi

malibulxi Junior Member

I did some searching on the forum and couldn't seem to find any thread that answered my primary question, how to prevent rust rings from a magnet mounted light bar?

I just purchased a Whelen LED mini light bar and it has four magnets. I bought it from a friend of mind, who used it for 2 years. He has 4 rust rings on his roof. Any way of preventing this? Any suggestions on an alternative mounting for it? I have been looking at getting a Back Rack to mount it, but wanted to spare the near $300 cost for one just to mount a light bar.

2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I got my back rack on eBay for just under $250. I know that's not much better but every bit helps I guess. If you're handy with a welder or know someone who is you could build your own rack. It would be cheaper than buying a back rack for sure.
  3. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

I take mine off after every storm and dry it. Also I put one piece of paper towel under each magnet helps if you hit a branch and makes it slide also.
  4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

If you go to a ham radio store, or a flea market that sell ham radio equipment, you will find little protectors that go under the magnets for antennas. Just buy 4 of those if you plan on leaving it on your truck for any extended periods of time.
  5. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

I painted the magnets on mine with something and sealed it with urethane, no problems since. I cant remember that I used.
  6. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

The last couple times I've bought mini bars from Priority 1 they've had an option to buy rubber boots that slip over the magnets. They work very very well.
  7. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

those rubber boots are worth there weight in gold ...
  8. malibulxi

malibulxi Junior Member

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I appreciate it. I've done some more research on the rubber coverings/boots for the magnets and they seem like the best alternative.
  9. Paul D

Paul D Member

Did you find a source for those boots? Electrical tape wouldn't work?
  10. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

11. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

not only do they protect your paint surface ... once your bar is mounted it wont slide .... just a side note ... if you leave it on for a long time ... when you pull the bar back off .. the boots will probably still be sticking ... just peel them off and reattach them .. and there only for 80# magnets not the smaller 50# magnets
  12. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

There IS a thread on here somewhere that discussed this, many people mentioned pringles can lids, duct tape, and many other alternatives ... not quite sure where the thread is though
  13. JK-Plow

JK-Plow Senior Member

Priority 1 Emergency is where I bought the rubber covers. I replaced the magnets on a bar that a buddy gave me and bought the covers at the same time. Then later I bought a new light bar from them and again bought the boots. They work great and yes they do mail order on their web site Piority1emergency.com. Thumbs Up