1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rust Repair

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by highmark923, Jul 4, 2011.

1. highmark923

highmark923 Member

On most of my Chevy 1500's the rear cab corners and rocker panels tend to rust first regardless of the type of protection or care. After reading some articles and things on the web (taken with grain of salt) it would appear this is a weak point for rust to start eating away. With that said I found this place online, RayBuck Auto Body Parts which seems to have nice replacement parts for the pieces I need. I have to assume that someone on this forum has had rust damage and has had it fixed. If so, can you please share what you did to fix it and provide any links or information on preventative maintenance.

Thanks in advance.

PS. Here is a link to the parts for my Chevy 1500. Not bad prices; but to get the truck repaired, prepped, painted, etc... cost some.

2. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

You're right, the rockers and cab corners rust first and on just about every truck up here. Other areas to watch on that truck would be the rear bumper, the wheel wells ( especially if you dont have mudflaps), and behind any wheel flares. I do all my own repair work as I know how, have the right tools and equipment, and a shop to do so. I have templates for all the trouble spots on my trucks and have a local metal shop cut and bend me the peices. I usually get a much more quality peice at half the price. I cut the old metal out, cut all the way to good metal. I then weld in the new peices, with rockers i weld them up on the flat peice where the kick strip and door will cover it. The key to success is prep work. Spend three times the amount of time you think you should with the prep and the paint and clear will almost take care of itself. Let me know if you plan on doing it yourself, I can give you more in depth info.
  3. ajman21

ajman21 Senior Member

just did my rockers this last spring soon as it was safe to not expect more snow! found it is easy to build the skins for the rockers on the break. vinal wash primer then chip guard and then use the panel bonding adhesive from 3m to bond the panel on. good idea as well was to just slightly enlarge the width (but not the hight) of the drain holes in the back side of the rocker. allows for more drainage (which is why they rust so bad) without allowing for too much salt to get settled up there. we will see how long it holds no other rust yet though x's 2 on the fender flairs. i clean those off every other day in season
  4. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

bumper went first...now cab corners., going to do it all at once newer bumper, new cab corners and then pop molding off and sand blast the bottom of it.
  5. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

If you're going that far, might just as well DA the rockers and see what they look like.