1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rust removal

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mass1589, Nov 28, 2012.

1. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

i purchased a used sander and there is some spots on the engine, and vbox hardware that have rust. before i give it a new paint job, i was wondering what people use to help with the rust removal?

any help here would be greatly apreciated!!!

thanks

2. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

Wire brush or sand the rust off then apply por-15 , then paint over. I have heard good reviews. The por-15 will stop any rust you may miss with the sanding

3. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

ive herd of por15 also... im looking for more of something that i can "soak" in to dissolve the metal and clean off any buildup....

4. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

5. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

i bought this can of stuff at home depot that takes everything and anything off. you spray it on wait 5 minutes scrape it then wash it. do it again to get it perfect an you have plain metal to prime/paint. i think it was called paint stripper looks like spray paint.

6. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

Ill go by there in the morning thanks!!!

7. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

8. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

I've seen Evapo Rust at Harbor Freight. I too haven't tried it but might. I have a can of Permatex Rust Dissolver Gel that I've never used.

I recently used a bunch of Duplicolor Rust Fix on my frame. I used a wirewheel on my angle grinder and a variety of wire brushes on my drills (cup brush, mounted wheel, end brush, tube/bore brush) to remove as much rust as I could then sprayed the Rust Fix. Just like the instructions promise, it sprayed on clear and after a while any remaining visible rust color turned black (then after longer, even clean metal turned black). I followed up with undercoat. I had intended to use primer, then paint, then undercoating, but time and money were short.

For your stated purpose, though, I imagine one of the rust dissolvers is the more appropriate option.

9. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Get a needle gun for breaking off the rust. After that, you can use your chemical voodoo treatment, and finally, por15 and paint.

10. A.M.Canfora

A.M.Canfora Member

A wire cup brush on a angle grinder always works pretty good. If the rust is heavy a needle scaler does great to remove it. Best way to clean rust is to sandblast it. But if your going to use POR 15 you just want to knock off the lose rust and paint over the rust itself. It works a lot better on rust then clean metal. I used POR 15 on parts of my truck year ago and still have no issues with rust coming through where I put it.