1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rust Proofing

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by musclecarboy, Oct 9, 2008.

1. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

My truck is at that point where its mere weeks away from a rust problem beyond repair. There's a few exposed spots that will be really bad come spring so I want to handle it now. What do you guys use to rust proof the trucks?

Thanks.

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Fluid Film, Krown or Rust Check.

3. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

4. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Where on the truck is the rust that's a problem- chassis or body?

5. musclecarboy

Both. I'm not sure if you understand what I'm trying to say, but I can see that its on the brink of having a rust problem (mainly body). Maybe I'll snap a few pics in the morning. I guess its the 6 years its been on the road thats wearing on it?

6. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

cut out the metal. weld in new metal.
    paint new metal. you dont have to paint the whole truck. cover it with a sh1t load of clearcoat layers and it will blend the freshly painted/older paint will blend so it isnt noticable.
    just a guess.

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

For quick and easy rust remodel that works.
    Ditch the btich prsportand get a new truck.;)

Then after a year or two use fluid film.wesport

8. musclecarboy

Its not a 1982 POS, there's just spots where the paint is chipped and rust will begin to develop. Some steering/suspension parts also have a bit of surface rust on them now which I want to stop.

9. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Let me guess, it is getting spots in the bottom of the rocker panels. Just sand it, prime and paint. Then I would put some of the truck bedliner stuff, like line-x, and coat it. No more chips and no more rust. I just had to sand and paint the bottoms of my rockers and the underside of the bed panels behind the tires. Common spots for rust to develop on the Chevy's

10. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

The 98 K3500 RCLB 4x4 that I bought last year had been rustproofed by Ziebert. After I had bought the truck, I noticed all of these little black plugs with Ziebert all over the place. I didn't know what Ziebert was and google searched it. I don't know if it worked but there is no rust through on the truck anywhere. A little bit of rust is starting to form on the seam at the bottom of the doors where they all seem to rust. The frame is getting surface rust on it where the black stuff has come off.

Wayne