1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rust Proofing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fms, Nov 30, 2007.

1. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

Picking up a new F550 in the morning and I've gotten mixed messages on rust proofing.

I've been told that you don't want to rust proof because you'll clog the weep holes and the frame will rot out quicker.

I'm spreading primarily straight salt. Seems to me I want to get some protection on the frame.

What are peoples thoughts and experiences.

Thanks

2. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

We use krown which is like an oil spray, not a tar/wax type undercoating. I don't think an oil type spraying would clog weep holes. You could also fluid film it.

Cheers
    Jeff

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Fluid Film it.;)

4. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

Thanks for the quick responses.
    I use Fluid Film on most of my equipment, but I'm looking for something a little more permanent for the frame.

5. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

rust proofing is good as long as your doing the body .. but the frame it will peel off .... tried it before .. so ya use oil or sumtin with a oil base to it ..

6. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

If you're applying oil base how often do you need to re-apply?

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Weve been using krown for about 5 years and it's real good stuff but now that I've spayed about 8 gallons of FF, I have to say I like it better. We get underneath our trucks and tractor on creapers and spray really well underneath. We also drill holes and spray inside body panels and such. We also coat underneath the hood and spray the entire spreader inside and out. We spray them once in the fall , then in Jan and then again after a good cleanup in the spring. 1gallon will easily spray 5 trucks, so it's cheap insurance. Remember the hard to get places, that you never see are the most important spots to spray. Here's where I posted the best gun I've used. Happy spraying!
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=50483

8. Jim Karns

Jim Karns Member

Greetings,
    I dealt with this issue with my last truck.
    I found that some of the new trucks are coming from the factory with a black greasy coating on the frame. I observed it on Fords and GMC/chev 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks. This stuff looks like undercoating - but it's not! It has a tendancy to wear off. Just look at a late model truck's frame. Chances are it's got rust on it. Per the folks at Zie Bart - rustproofing will not stick to this greasy coating - so your screwed. The 5500 GMC I purchased last year still comes from the factory with a painted frame. Zie Bart will stick to it. Considering the price of new trucks - IMHO do what ever you can do to prolong the truck. There's also a product called neutro-rust which is an after cleaning rinse for the truck. It is supposed to neutralize the salt and chlorides. I'm going to try it this winter. A bit pricy - but so corrosion repair. :salute: