1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rust prevention

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dbtoe, Sep 9, 2002.

1. dbtoe

dbtoe Junior Member

Do you use anything for rust prevention? On my last plow I sprayed LPS-3 on all the bolts and pins and it seemed to help. However I waited until they started to rust first, just didn’t think of it until it was too late. So, what do you use and how well does it work? Any other good prevention tips?

2. guido

guido PlowSite.com Veteran

grease

We use some grease on all the exposed threads. I think no matter what you do, your going to have to battle with the stuff, but it might help.

Also, I've seen people heatshrink plastic or rubber around it, and then you can just cut it and tear it off if you need to take off a fastner.

Good LucK!

3. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

I spray as many nuts, bolts and pins with PB Blaster as I can. I try to let everything melt off after use and spray as much as I can, especially the pins.
    I grease the pins every time I remove the plow as I drive the plow truck to work most days.

Think snow,
    Mark K

4. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

If your looking at just keeping the rust from forming on your bolts and nuts that are used to assemble your plow, then a good rust preventive primer and paint will do the trick. With a few brush strokes you can have everything covered; protected and matched to the color of the plow and framework. Most of the sprays penatrating oils are good to get things loosened up but wash away with plowing or cleaning of the plow, and don't really keep the hardware from discoloring or rusting. Lube the pivot points with a good weather and water resistent grease or get a pump oil can and lube everything that moves or that you think that moves up with the motor oil of your choice. Now is the time to clean up and check all the fastners and hardware for damage; looseness and wear.

5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

IF you are going to use an oil can, fill it with "bar & chain" oil meant for chainsaws. It has additives that make it "stick" better.

I have been told that furniture polish works well, but have never tried it myself.

~Chuck