1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rust prevention & paint....Eastwood vs POR15

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Brett K, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Brett K

Brett K Member

The last plow I ripped apart and painted I used POR15 with pretty good results and durability. My only complaint was you have to prime and topcoat for UV protection. I am considering trying Eastwood Co. Rust Encapsulater this time around. I have heard good things about their product as well. ANyone else have experience with product they can share?
  2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Last I read POR did not need priming, only removal of loose rust just as Eastwood's does. Why would you not expect to top coat? I expect You will have to top coat anything for durability. Plowing is abrasive. I am interested in people's experiances since I also was considering the difference between those two- Eastwood sells POR also.
  3. Brett K

Brett K Member

By primer, I meant the tie-coat. It is necessary on top of the POR-15 for the top-coat to stick. With Eastwood, The Rust Encapsulater is UV resistant and does not require a topcoat vs POR-15, which will turn white with UV exposure.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2005
  4. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

UV abuse.

I have had good results with the por15,Used it on all my sander chassis frames etc...The black will turn a flat color after sitting in sun,but that took about a year for mine to do that, and that was on a hood(Direct sunlight).
    I just did the frame on my rack dump,they have a chassie topcoat that doesnt require priming in between.
    Eastwood carries a great product line,havent tried their answer to POR but everything else I have tried has been of great quality.
  5. Brett K

Brett K Member

For the purpose of experimentation, I decided to give the Eastwood Rust Encapsulater a try. I have everything out for sandblasting and when I get it back, I will use it with the Fisher yellow topcoat on the blade. I'll post some before and after pics.