1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rust preventing paint

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Diesel_brad, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Diesel_brad

Diesel_brad Senior Member

Ok guys not sure if this is the right section but here it goes.

I bought a used uni-mount 6.5 SUV blade for my ranger. the blade was SHOT so i bought a new one. The way western constructed the SUV blade is stupid! It is box tubing so it holds water and salt then rots it from the inside out.. So my idea was to paint the inside of the "tubes" so it will not rot. There is a drain hole at the bottom along with a couple other holes. I was going to tape the holes shut but one and pour POR15 in the tubing, tape that hole shut them roll the blade around to cover the inside of the tubes. think that will work? In the pics you can see the holes in the upright "tubes"
    View attachment 81406

2. Shortandfat

Shortandfat Junior Member

That seems like a good way to do that, you could also try ( or do in addition to the pain) the great stuff expanding foam, i have used it in a headache rack and it worked pretty good.

Seems like a good plan though. Good luck.

3. mnz28

mnz28 Member

Can you plug the holes so nothing gets in?
  4. Diesel_brad

Diesel_brad Senior Member

I could but the "seams" where the tube meats the mullboard are still open. just a piss poor design on westerns part, hence why they dont make them anymore
  5. timberjack

timberjack Member

I don't think por-15 will cure properly, or last if it does. I never could get it to work on my 7.3L's rusting oil pan, spraying or brushing it on.

I'd (I do this on my trucks and plow) spray fluidfilm in the openings a few times through the season, and at the end of the winter, very generously spray it in all the holes, at angles, every which way. You might even drill a few new holes for easier access too. Not too big, you don't want to weaken it, just provide good access. Another idea might be to add a few more drain holes too, if there is only one now.

Check out the "eureka fluidfilm" forum here for ideas, and i think there are even free samples from the fluidfilm rep for new users. At least there were last year.

btw - the rusting oil pan on my truck hasn't been changed yet. I just refresh the fluidfilm coating twice a year, and am waiting for the eventual need to pull the engine and replace the pan. It's been 6 years so far though.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  6. Ditchdiggin

Ditchdiggin Member

We're doing my 7.3 oil pan right now. Its on a F-450 that I salt with and I was dreading doing it but I knew it was only a matter of time. You don't need to pull the motor to do it. It just needs to be lifted up a little. I am going to paint the new pan with POR before it goes on the truck.
  7. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

On the oilpan. Here is what I was going to do:

Check out Damian's thread on the kit he manufactures for the Ford issue, and he will ship to Canada, at least he told me he would in email. We sorta got into it in the forum, but it was a misunderstanding. He has a youtube video that shows him repairing one and it is on helluva job...