1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rust Pits on the Cylinders, what NOW ??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Eyesell, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I have a BOSS 8' Superduty that after taking it out of storage ( Inside ) I noticed small rust pits on my cylinder shafts ( I hope I'm describing it correct, it's the highly polished part on the cylinders ) Will these pits wear on the seals ???

What's the best way to get rid of them and keep them gone besides grease and oil. I typically wash the plow after every use but notice they are getting worse and worse.

Thanks in advance
  2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I always use CorrosionX on all of my equiment after each use. I buy it through either a Fix Base Operator at a airport or through a marine supply store. Now they don't give the stuff away, its like $15.00 a can but they are large cans and last most of the winter. I have sprayed this stuff on parts I couldn't break loose with a pipe wrench, spray the part let sit overnight spray again let it set and the fitting came off.
    I spray my salt spreader shaft down with it every time Im done and it looks like new still. Here is a web site for them www.corrosionx.com

Try it this stuff really works.
    Regards Mike
  3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Use fine emery cloth to polish the rods, as long as its not heavily pitted you should be all right.
  4. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

I would use the emery cloth as crash935 stated.
    Coat your pistons with whatever boss recommends for storage.
    Western recommends a non petroleum like vaseline.
    And always retract the pistons whenever possible.
  5. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Thanks guys for the info, I'm on it !!
  6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Simple normal automotive grease will work to protect the pistons just as well, but here's the trick....ready? you actually have to coat the pistons with it!
    I use White Lith from a rattle can ($1.99 per can from the local department store)- spray the pistons after the last storm and check them periodically to see if it's dried off- it does dry and will rubb off when dry so sometimes I respray 2 or three times each summer- and I store outside.

Normal wheel bearing grease or grease gun grease works just as well.8 years on the MM with no pits or rust and counting.... My speedcast is a lot older and has had the same grease (not recoated) for 3 years in outside storage- no pits there either. Just block the air and water.
  7. jglandscaping

jglandscaping Senior Member

If you cant get the pit out, replace them because you'll tear the seals out..would suck having to replace during a storm.
  8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I have found that most, if not all "pits" are from nicking the rams with a shovel as your digging out your plow when your stuck. you should never strike the rams with any thing harder than your head :D .
    A quality ram should not pit and rust unless it is damaged.
    As long as it is a pit and not a nick with a small burr ( run your hand over it if there is any thing sticking up you could very carefully use some emery cloth to deburr it) you should be fine, you could even get years of use out of it with no problems. I have run equipment with pitted rams for years with very little leakage or problems with the seals.(as long as there not bent)
    I always have an replacement ram on the shelf just in case you rune one, is always a good idea as they seem to break at the worst times.
    So don't sweat the small pits there really no big deal. :waving:
  9. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Thanks Snofarmer, they are indeed smooth, I took some scotch brite over them and there are as smooth as the good part of the ram now.

I don't have any nicks, just this pain staking surface rust. I'll keep an eye out and scotch brite them as needed.

Thanks again for the info.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2005
  10. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

put some corrosion x on it. i still cant belive how well it works. i couldnt get a bolt off my mower, i tired wd40 and all that, still wouldnt budge, put corrosion x on it, let it sit, and bam it came right off
  11. flykelley

I second this Mark. Corrisionx will keep those cylinders looking like brand new. This stuff was made to fight corrosion in Planes and Boats. IMHO they should market this stuff towards Snow Plow contractors. It works that well. I was the one to turn Mark onto this stuff and now he is a beliver.

Regards Mike
  12. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Where can you buy it ??
  13. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I bought two cans of Corrosion X HD like 2 or 3 weeks ago... I bought it online at http://www.corrosionx.com/

and like Mike said, he did turn me onto this stuff, and I am still amazed on how well it works, I dont think I will ever buy wd40 again.
  14. flykelley

You can buy it online, or at a marine store or at a Fix Base Operator at most small airports. If you go online you have more choice's and you will get to read a little background to help you choose the right one.

Regards Mike