1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rust on the crete, Rust on the crete, look'in like a fool wi'da rust on the crete

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by maikhai, Apr 27, 2010.

1. maikhai

maikhai Junior Member

Sorry , couldn't heip it!! :laughing: I've read quite a few threads about rust stains on concrete. Whether it's fertilizer, hard water from sprinkler water or caused by an 800lb. plow giving off ferrous material that causes stains.

I believe the last logic. but, no one has been able to explain how to remove the stains to retain the trust of my valued customer.

I have a 2500lb pressure washer which failed to revome the extensive stains from 16 pads of concrete even after pre- scrubbing with TSP and then doing it all over again using a product called RUST-X which contains sodium hydrocloride and sodium hypocloride as major constituants. What will take the darn rust off, short of raising a toxic or nuclear cloud, or defoliating a 3ft. border on both sides of the drive?:confused:

I just completed my rookie snow season and will probably not learn at a faster rate than I did this year. I appreciate all you seasoned vetrans, truly, and hope someone might have the wisdom I have yet to aquire.:help:

Thanks in advance for your reply!

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

In my opinion,don't worry about it.

3. maikhai

maikhai Junior Member

Concrete rust stains

With all due respect, that " don't worry about it" attitude could loose a customer that pays fast and has me do other things through the year. Any body else have any ideas?

4. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

guess maybe it's just happens in other parts of the country,but in 25 years I never had someone say anything about marks on the driveway.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Never had a complaint about marks either

7. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

The mother-in-law blamed me for pops in the concrete for "over-salting". She really didnt like me when I told her the cheap concrete sub added to much water to the mix.