1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rust on angling rams

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 08f150, Jan 23, 2009.

1. 08f150

08f150 Member

I have a little bit of rust starting on my angling rams. Its a unimount pro plow. Should I replace them right away?

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

If they are not pitted, take a scotch brite pad, clean the rust, and treat the surface with oil. If they are pitted in a place that will come in contact with the seal as the rams go in and out, then you should look into replacing them before next season, but you ought to get them and have them on hand now, for the whole just in case thing.

3. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

he's exactly right. just clean them up for now and coat them. i spray all our rams down several times a season. if one of the pits tears the seal they'll still work but you'll get tired of adding more fluid to the pump and the leak will be a good way for moisture to get into the pump and possibly freeze it should enough get in there. it never hurts to have extra parts laying around so keep your eyes open for a good deal. stay warm :salute:

4. 08f150

08f150 Member

Thanks guys! Looks like they are pitted but I'm gonna give them a shot with the scotch brite and then oil them and keep my eyes open on ebay and the net to see what I can find.

5. Since the angling rams come in contact with the snow often if they are pitted you will constantly be letting water into the hydraulic system contaminating the fluid and freezing the system slowing your plow down.

I'd highly recommend changing them if you can get them at a good price.

6. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

I don't think you have to worry about moisture. When the cylinders are extending or retracting the oil in them is at a higher pressure than the outside. Therefore they will leak fluid but I don't think moisture will get in. But I could be wrong.

7. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

you would be wrong.