1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rust Neutralizer?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by old skool, Nov 16, 2015.

1. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

I have been getting my plow truck ready for winter. We just replaced all the brake lines to the back. The frame on the truck has a lot of rust scale.....damn salt :( ...I have used a needle scaler and rotary pads to clean frame the best I can.

I see a lot of spray / wipe on rust converters advertised. Do any of them actually work?

Anyone have any experience with any of them or have other ways to try and stop the rust?

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Is it a Chevy?

3. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

Yepper.. a 97 K3500..

4. bowtieboss98

bowtieboss98 Junior Member

help stop the rust!!!!

not sure if you found a solution yet. Here was mine. at my local auto body store (not parts store) they showed me 2 products. one was called POR 15. comes in a kit. i believe its around $100 to $150. they also have a :waving:just as good cheaper version called KBS. also comes in a kit. i believe it was a 3 stage process with a rust cleaner and neutralizer plus the paint. i paid around 70 bucks for it i believe. its been over a year and still looks just as good as the day i used it. hope this helps

5. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

bowtie, Perfect! I just started checking out the KBS products. The Rust Seal sounds like what I'm looking for. Nice to hear it has held up for you so far.

Thanks again for the info! Thumbs Up

6. bowtieboss98

bowtieboss98 Junior Member

one last thing

old skool, one last thing. look into fluid film if you have heard of it. the oil undercoating. i have personally not had it done but every plow guy in my area has it done to their equipment.i have heard great things about that as well. good luck sir!