1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rust, exhaust problems

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by cmland, Dec 29, 2014.

1. cmland

cmland Junior Member
    from PA

I just bought a 95 chevy 2500. In northeast so it is covered in rust. Underbody is complete rust. What is the best advice on what needs to be dealt with immediately. Should I scrape, wash, fluid film? Would just brushing fluid film on nice and thick help the suspension parts? I am afraid to scrape the exhaust. Manifold/y-pipe already being replaced

2. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

Uh, With all due respect....

Why in the world would you buy a vehicle from here ? Are you a glutton for punishment, or was the deal so good, you just couldn't pass it up ?

Inquiring minds want to know..:D

3. cmland

cmland Junior Member
    from PA

$2600 with 80k and inspection until after the plow season. I was low on cash and needed another plow truck and truck for landscaping season. Truck never plowed so I need to hook all that up. Needs exhaust manifolds too which is $$ because of need for machine shop since the bolts are rusted/melted to engine block. Like I said low money was main reason, with high need for another vehicle and ability to make the cost back with plowing. Just trying to make the best of it and seeking advice

4. Sorry to say but I think your bargain purchase is going to end costing you a pile of cash. based on how you describe it I wouldnt even try to remove the rust, just make sure the necesities such as brakelines etc are ok then just maybe undercoat it with fluid film or something along those those lines to perhaps stop it fron rusting worse and get your plow mounted as cheaply as possible and hopefully get enough work in with it to make your money back!

5. cmland

cmland Junior Member
    from PA

Ok will get on the fluid film. Should probably clarify the body is fine above. Little rust around door bottom that was scraped and primed. Bed has a bit but not bad. Was going to sand down heavy prime and paint with brush and put in bedliner. Underbody covered though. Everything works good (except manifold as mentioned). Drives strong

6. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

Manifolds are an easy fix broken bolts no problem

7. Yeah like I said in the above post id just get it safely operatiional for now and hope to make some money with it this winter then see what can be done in the spring

8. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

had to change the power steering pump on the 90, bracket is held on by 2 manifold bolts, used a socket 2 sizes smaller to grip what was left of the stud, walked right out of the head!....maybe you will have the same luck

9. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

I changed my exhaust manifolds some broke of flush this is what i did remember to disconnect the battery i also disconnected the pcm
    How To: Extract Broken off Bolt EVERYTIME!!!: http://youtu.be/bSOg7aQ44eg