1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Russo Power equipment- BEWARE!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Sawboy, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Ok folks, the results are in. Just shy of $1,100 worth of damage was done to my truck by the fine people at Russo Power Equipment. This is a long read, but if you have ever considered them, let me save you the money and stress!

I dropped off my 94 F350 for the spreader to be repaired. The carb needed to be rebuilt. I was quoted a price of $359.67 for a rebuild and "complete tune up". I agreed to this, and the "work" was "completed". Russo is open until 4pm. I arranged for a ride from someone and arrived about 3:15 to pick up the truck. Paid the bill, was given the key and went out to the truck and guess what? Spreader doesn't run. Cool.....chit happens, I'm sure it's something simple. Go back inside, explain to the phone clerks (who by the way, are absolutely clueless on the stuff they sell and service. Go ahead and ask one of them a technical question) and the phone clerk gets on the two way radio for assistance. A guy shows up, we go outside, and he agrees it won't start. I was thankful for the second opinion. He then explains that all the "technicians" are gone for the day. You get that? Open until four, but anyone with a clue about what customers are picking up are sent home at 3:00. So my only option is to to leave it for tomorrow. I agree and ask that they void my purchase that I just made TEN minutes ago, and they say that's not possible because of they way they do their accounting. Having worked in retail, I know that they're bs'ing as its a simple function on the machine. But hey, Russo has been around a long time, I trust them.

I get 15 minutes from there and I get a call from Russo. Here's where it gets really good. "Eddie" says "we had a problem pulling the truck in". I ask what the problem was. Answer......."The driveshaft fell off". Huh?! I ask them how in the world does a driveshaft "fall off". He has no answer and simply asked if I will be towing the truck off the lot!! I explain that the truck will NOT be leaving their premises until the spreader that I paid for (inoperable still) is properly repaired.

I call the next day and talk to a manager (John) and asked what we were going to do about the driveshaft. I explain that there is no way a driveshaft falls off. He says "Well Bob, the truck is VERY VERY old". I disagree and say that 20 years is old sure, but not some relic of a bygone era. I also state it's a 1 ton truck with a manual, and a 460. It's designed for hard work. It's not as if I had a 1/2 ton truck working over its head. John then says the truck was rusty underneath (shocking that an Illinois vehicle would be rusty underneath) and that it failed naturally. I explained that the truck has pushed snow twice this season, and if it was going to fail, it would stand to reason it would fail under the load of pushing snow........not moving forward on a bare lot with zero load. I suggest that his driver either dumped the clutch, his foot slipped off the clutch, or revved the hell out of it and slammed it into gear. Remember.....they were annoyed because they had to work on it again for free. John then explains he has 20 years experience in the auto industry. I explain that I also have over a decade in the industry. John is of the mind that the springs in the clutch disc would have blown apart if the vehicle was improperly shifted and that the joints would have held up. I offer up my supposition again and state that it's a pretty common school of thought that the joint is the weak link of any drive train, thus all the warning regarding wheel hop, excessive spinning etc.

Solution? He says that ALL areas of the lot are video monitored and he will let me watch the tapes that prove they did nothing more than pull away slowly. I agree to that since it will conclusively end the argument.

I call the next day and now get John AND "Andy" who is the head honcho of the store. They have watched the tapes and both agree that their driver did nothing wrong. He clearly was "slowly driving away". They are however sympathetic and "want to help".

I ask if I can see the tapes. Answer? "No". They explain that the digital versions of the tapes are not made yet. Huh??? I said "But you saw the tapes" they said yes, and once we get them on a digital format we can let you see them. I explain that "digital" can mean edited and again ask to see the same tapes they did, as proposed by them yesterday! I am told "well the tapes are in our IT room." Again, this makes no sense so I ask "Well then can I go in the IT room with you to see these tapes?" The answer again is "No". But they restate that they feel bad and would like to refund my entire $359.67 for the spreader (which is now repaired).

So let me get this straight. You claim you did nothing wrong. You have video evidence that backs that claim. However, you won't show that evidence and you'll give me all my money back? How's that smell to everyone else?

By the way......here's the extent of the damage of "the driveshaft fell off" and their driver "slowly pulling away".

1. Yoke at back of trans / front driveshaft destroyed.
    2. Center support bearing mount, completely ripped down from frame of truck
    3. One Ujoint sheared clear through the top. Not the cap, the joint itself.
    4. Ears on rear driveshaft broken off
    5. Exhaust knocked into two pieces by flopping driveshaft.

All that carnage from a "slowly pulling away" driver.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

You holding back a few details like the tow charges, trailer rental, and most importantly time.
  3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

All that stuff sounds pretty common on an old rusty plow truck from a smooth and slow start... :dizzy:

That sucks man...

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

Well Shame shame on Russos
  5. Sawboy

Yeah, I wanted to keep the length down to a simple Shakesperian novel.

6. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

I've bought lots of stuff from Russo on line and E Bay, never had a problem. Too bad they have a crappy tech and management that covers for him. Perhaps a family member or gay lover of the boss?

Honest mechanics are a prize commodity, we make sure to take good care of ours. Homemade cookies and candy go a long way too.
  7. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

Ask them for their insurance company info.
    Is making a claim possible. Get somelegal advice. Thats really sucks. And it smells fishy
  8. Better talk to Frank himself. He well help you get this worked out
  9. grkstl2

grkstl2 Junior Member
    from Chicago

I bought salt from Russo once, I hope they understand we are a tight knit community and the word will spread. I will not be using them for anything in the future. Sorry this happened to you.
  10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Holy crapola!

Not what I was expecting.

Of course someone popped the clutch,they must think you're really stupid.
  11. dmcenery

dmcenery Member

I hope this happens for you. You need to speak with the owners. They should be honest with you in regard to your truck and make it right.
  12. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry, it sounds like you have a personal relationship with him, so this will hit you wrong, but F Frank, and F Russo. Do you think that whoever's in charge isn't already aware of this situation, but did nothing to rectify it? I say F Russo, and they will never get one thin dime out of my pocket.
  13. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

If I found the damage youre describing under my truck, I would have immediately called the police and filed a complaint for physical damage to personal property, and forced them to provide the video of it happening.

Stories like this are the exact reason I work on my own vehicles, or if necessary, when someone else has to work on them, I stay at the shop during the repair...

Freakin f tards
  14. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Well said
  15. birchwood

birchwood Senior Member

Hopefully they will do something about this, after this post. What location was it?
  16. johnnywaz

johnnywaz Senior Member

Wow, that is a lot of damage. Sorry to hear about all the trouble.
  17. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

File a police report now and tell the cops there is a video ,this way it don't get eased by accident.
  18. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 Senior Member

Thats is terrable those kinda places give mechanics a bad rap. Being a mechanic for 15 years in a heavy equipment enviorment and a avid offroad/rockcrawler that sir is all abuse. The fact they all try to hude it is just horrible.
  19. Sawboy

I have a couple very good friends that are attorneys. Seeing one this Saturday on an unrelated matter, but I'll definitely discuss with him.
  20. Sawboy

Yep. For sure they dumped the clutch.

Agreed. Well said.

Schiller Park, IL

Thanks man. That's what I told both of the managers. I said to break that much stuff, clearly there was abuse. That's not a one component failure. It's straight up carnage.