1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Russians gonna Russia

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by indplstim, Dec 15, 2014.

1. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

This is one way to do it, saw this on thechive

2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

look at those big tanks on the trucks, thats for the fuel those jet engines need to run for an hr or 2 I bet. I don't think my Napa has parts either.
  3. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

I guess they use them for airport runways, if it gets too icy I'd assume they just spin in a circle. :dizzy:, also the caption mentions melting the snow, I would also guess they just blow the runways clean. Jet engines are also used to blow off railroad tracks apparently.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  4. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Suprised it doesnt just blow the truck away, they can push a plane fast enough to break the sound barrier
  5. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I would mount one on the back of my truck so I could plow faster.
  6. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

Whoops we accidentally had a fuel truck break the
    sound barrier today
  7. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

They use jet engines in rail yards to clean the snow and ice out of switches.

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

I was just gonna say that mercer!

Seen one the other day, loud as hell and to see the **** fly is crazy!

It doesn't even move the little machine it's mounted on.
  9. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I've never scene one actually work, I just saw the one that Pan Am has has in Rigby yard and my foreman told me what it was for.
  10. SnyCo

SnyCo Member

I'll assume that is what looks to be the fuel line that is running through the headlight?

Also, with their extreme temps, wouldn't the water from the melted snow just refreeze a few minutes later? Heating the surface enough to dry it would compromise the asphalt...?

It's a sight too see and hear I thought our terex Detroit diesel was too much then I heard that !!!

He can point it where he wants, too a degree anyways and by small it's a little bigger than a 6 door pickup and a little taller but way smaller than a locomotive!!
    Those bastids still scare the **** out of me when they blow their horn!! I'll get use too it.

My new loader should be in tomorrow so I hope it isn't a pos!!

A lot of runways here are concrete but it's not only just heat but a giant hairdryer

They are constantly moving it as well and probably can make it hotter or cooler as well!

The train I see is blowing 50' away from the train but can also do right in front if needed and it swings side to side

They do a switch area about the width of the tracks by a hundred feet in no time
  13. SnyCo

SnyCo Member

Thanks for clarifying that, IPLOWSNO. Those types of engines only run at full throttle, or idle, if I a, not mistaken.

Either way, I hope they have only experienced operators.

Yea maybe idle is cooler than wide open though right?
    I call that adjustable lol