1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rush of new plowers?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MImowerkid, Feb 22, 2005.

1. MImowerkid

MImowerkid Junior Member

I like many others will most likely be plowing drives for the first time next year. Does anyone here think that there will be a rush of new plowers that go out and buy a plow next year ? I thought of this because of all the snow we(MI) have gotten in the past few months . Do you anticapate this as a problem? what advice would you have for someone starting ?
    thanks for all the comments guys!
    -Chris -
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

No and yes,
    Yes, I'm always looking for a plowjockey with newer equipment to plow for me. If i can find enough of them all i have to do is drive by the accounts and cheek if there done or not( and sleep in, maybe?)
    No, nobody wants a new low-baller to move into there neighborhood. and there not experienced operators yet..
    There are just about as Manny that quit each year, so it evens out in the long run.. so go and get that new plow :nod:
  3. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow Senior Member

Welcome to Plowsite Chris! :waving:
    Don't worry about an influx of new plowers. Plowers are everywhere, especially during a good winter! If you are determined, reliable, and work hard you will get plenty of clients.

This has been my first year plowing, and where I live (just outside of Boston) everybody that has a truck has a plow. Believe me, they are everywhere! With that said, I was still able to find plenty of clients. One of the clients liked my work so much he told everybody else in the neighborhood about me (word of mouth - best advertising). Through this one client I ended up getting 5 more clients.

There will always be competition in anything you do. See the big picture...and stop at nothing to get it. Good luck! :nod:
  4. MImowerkid

MImowerkid Junior Member

I really hope it all works out! I have a little bit though(1year) till I do anything yet . I am still 15 but my parents think that this could be a lucrative service that could be provided to some of my existing customers next year ! I hope to ride along in a truck this year and get some more experience with the Kawasaki mule my friend owns to get the basic ideas down but Experience is what matters so i'll just have to practice! thanks for the help!
  5. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

6. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

I say let them come because they will have some good equipment for sale cheap during the winter when they realize it "ain't all they thought it was".
  7. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Your right Ridgecon, with the kind of winter that we have had this year all over, there should be some great deals on equip this summer. The get rich quickers probably had a rude awakening this year. Every year just in the extreme N side of Cols I probably see at least 2 dozen new plows and trucks on the roads. I doubt they made enough money this year to have made the payments so far this winter. I've been doing this for about 6 years now, have a used plow and don't intend on buying a new one with no more snow than we have had the last couple of years. I just couldn't justify it and I have lots of accts.