1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rush hour snows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by blc1, Jan 21, 2015.

1. blc1

blc1 Junior Member
    from ohio

Whats the best way to handle snow when it comes done between 6-10am? We're just talking an inch, 2 or 3.

Do you get out ahead of it and salt, wait for it to just about stop and push it and and salt it or what? Do you go back that night and clean up again?

Just makes for tough timing with traffic and cars parked in the lots.

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Those are my favorites.

3. oarwhat

oarwhat Senior Member

I'm in Buffalo, NY The last 2 years I'd say 80% of snowfalls where near that time frame. This year we had 3 in the 6" to 12" range. THEY SUCK!!!!! If it's only 1" to 3" we'll wait until it stops. For the others we'll start around 3" to 4" and keep going. I've plowed some large areas three times in one morning. And then yes you have to go back and plow where the cars were.

4. Mark Oomkes

Don't you know you're supposed to plow with the storm? ;)

5. oarwhat

oarwhat Senior Member

Ugh I think that's what I said.

6. Mark Oomkes

But you wait for 3". lol

No worries, people outside of lake effect areas don't get it.

7. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

As opposed to against the storm? :laughing: :salute:

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

They certainly do not!

9. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I have sites that between 7a-5p are a lane in and out, there is no plowing unless you're prepared to drag that lane out into the street. They get pretreated with a good dose of salt and hope the traffic helps it along, at the very worst it keeps it from bonding into harpack...cleaned up later that evening.

10. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

They are by far the most annoying! On a small storm like that you should be able to salt most of it away as it falls if it comes over a couple of hours, assuming the temperature is reasonable. If its not an account that demands/requires a high level of service, I would think one salting to keep it reasonable in the morning and then a follow up plow/salting after everyone leaves the lot would do.

11. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

You're in Ohio...I can't imagine why you might be asking this question after the lovely storm we had this morning.

I'm like Mark, rush hour storms are my most favorite!!!

We presalt/salt right as the snow starts. Then wait for it to hit around a couple inches and start pushing. Ones like this one, we wait until it stops snowing. 3-6 and more get cleaned a couple times during the day and then a cleanup at night.

Mainly focused on driving lanes and keeping the lots open. If you're in a snow area, most people understand it's not going to be perfectly clear and melted if it starts snowing at 6 AM and doesn't stop. The ones that don't like snow, get lots of salt. Burn it off as it hits.

This one wasn't as bad as some. At least it was done by 1030. Salt made it easier, doesn't let the snow bond and turn to hard pack. I can't imagine dealing with these storms and not presalting.

12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Rush hour plowing sitting in front of someone with "all season" tires on.

13. truckitup

truckitup Senior Member

They suck...

That is all we have had this year. I do drive lanes, any big open parking places and Handicap places. then salt. come back at night to clean up. As you know then the lake will have a quall and drop another 2" just after your done.

I have gotten away with just salt with light lake effect, and hope some sun is out that day.

14. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Whats lake effect?

15. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

That feelings in your bladder from too much coffee...

16. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

Rush hour small storms are the worst. we have had 3 already which is the 3 out of like 7 times we have plowed this year...
    honestly we're not used to doing them because it doesnt happen here often. I got caught a couple times when it just finished snowing, i went out and got caught in traffic, it took me almost an hour to get to my first place that usually takes 15.

but to answer your question, we do the best we can to clear driving lanes and any parking spaces we can and then go back in the morning. I hate having to return in the morning

17. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Here the bad times are 7:00am to 9:00am - 5:00pm to 6:30pm
    I go home and take a nap or eat. It can wait, a lot of drivers are really dumb and dumber the more it snows.

18. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Treat it like any other storm I make out a list for each rig
    I roll once there is a 1' Start hitting the lots that I didnt pretreat.
    I'll scrape what I can and salt. Once all those lots are done I start on the ones that I pretreated, clean the slush up and salt .
    Then go back to the other lots Clean and salt.
    All my lots are per visit I only have 1 that's a seasonal

In 2''-3'' I might visit the lots 2 times during business hours 1 time after they close
    So far this season only had one storm started at 5am and was done by noon

I know there is guys here wont even get out till the snow has stop.
    More companies are going to it. More money to be made during a storm then waiting for it to end. If you have a Per visit contracts.

19. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Thats been the story of our season so far and they've been big storms. Nothing like taking 2hrs 38 minutes to go like 6 miles and of course we all have magical trucks that somehow are able to go faster through white outs and grid lock cars.

20. jerpa

jerpa Member

Today I presalted before the storm. Once it started sticking I salted my first few accounts a second time. Then I started pushing about 1/3 the way through my route. Came back and spot salted most a 3rd time. They will all get cleaned up and salted tonight. All per push except a small church driveway. payup