1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rural Roads in Hill Country

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by brian_in_idaho, Dec 12, 2008.

1. brian_in_idaho

brian_in_idaho Junior Member
    from Idaho

Hi guys, first timer here.

I live in rural North Idaho, we typically see 6-8" per dump, with more in the higher country. We face challanges in that most of the country is hilly, with many roads cut across the grade (sidehill). Of course this means that snow has to be plowed towards the downhill side, and in many areas there isn't a lot of room to work with. With a pickup mounted plow, there are 2 concerns, first is that the plow doesn't sweep much past the tires, so when plowing off the low side of a hill it's easy to drop a wheel off the road. Second is that berms build up pretty quickly and you run out of places to pile.

I am in the process of buying a Kubota L3240 with a Landpride 7' rear blade. The nice feature is that the blade offsets, maybe 2-3 feet. I'm hoping this lets me plow to the low side while keeping the rig pretty well on the road. In addition, I hope to lift and offset the blade, using it to wing off tops of berms. I toyed with a blower, but they become a one-season tool, and being a poor working stiff I need something I can use more often.

Any thoughts as to what a fair price is for plowing in these conditions? Most driveways/private roads will be 300-2000 feet long, perhaps more. I only plan on doing work within 3-5 miles from home, I don't want to trailer.

Thank for any thoughts.

2. brian_in_idaho

from Idaho

crap, double post, sorry

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure on pricing ,but what about adding detachable wings on the plow. Have only the one side on so it pushes off the road without your truck going with it.

4. zabMasonry

zabMasonry Senior Member
    from vt

Experiment with using chain instead of the top link. I my experience the top link tends to A cause issues with getting the angle of the plow right, and B further propagate the ups and downs of the road. JMO

5. brian_in_idaho

from Idaho

zab, I'm planning on either chain or pivoting/slotted top link. It's especially important when grading, which I figure on in the summer. I'll probably pick up a gauge wheel.

Grandview, I don't have a plow for my truck, though that might have been the smarter way to go. Around here, with the hills, even a 4 x 4 needs chains to work effectively, I've barely made it up the driveway even in 4WD at the spring breakup. I don't want to have to chain and unchain every day before going to my day job, and besides I needed to justify the purchase of the tractor to the wife. I'm planning on bushhogging and driveway grading in the summer. But you're right, some sort of wing would be the way to go, I haven't seen that done before on P/U-sized plows.