1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

run's like garbage

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by the new boss 92, Jan 17, 2011.

1. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

my truck has been acting funny and i have been reading but no one has had any problems like mine. my truck runs , starts fine and drives. when your driving it kinda falls on its face and if you hit the gas harder it kind of just dies out. it has been running like this for a while. also eats alot of gas. btw its the truck in my signature. It also has a power band of its own that jumps around and not consistant. im thinking it might be a fuel pump. i have had it on a scanner and everything it showing fine. but just runs like ass when you have a load on it. i did replace plugs wires cap rotor, checked egr, colant temp sensor was replaced not to long ago, fuel filter not to long ago aswell. does anyone have any ideas or has this happened to them. the rpm's jump alittle but to and has a small miss to it. it only happens when its fully warm. it has been driving me up the wall and i need this truck for plowing so anything i will do and check will be a great help. thanks guys.

5.7 350 in it
  2. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

bad gas?
    Water in the gas?

pore some(two bottles for 20 gal) 90% rubbing alcohol in the tank and run it, if there is any water in it, it should take care of it.
    rubbing alcohol works better (if you use 90%) then dry gas, since its only 50% alcohol....
  3. MSplowing

MSplowing Member
    from Indiana

My 95 was doing the same thing changed the fuel pump and havent had any trouble since. Check your fuel pressure odds are its the fuel pump
  4. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Don't use rubbing alcohol or dry gas if you have ethanol mixed gas. Get some seafoam or something like that, there are plenty of products out there that are safe for ethanol mixed gas.
  5. the new boss 92

i have been running heat every fill up and sea foam every other fill up in the summer. thius this is killing me and im freaking out cause its winter and i finally got a deacent route and i dont wanna f it up. might throw a fuelpump in it afte work if i dont get any responces
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  6. MJay

MJay Member

Check fuel pump connections, you may get lucky with a bad ground.
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Have you done a fuel pressure test? Would be foolish to piss away money on a pump if yours it working fine. You can buy a gauge with the TBI adapter for less than $50. Drive around with it poking through the hood for a couple days. Watch if it drops when the truck starts to run poorly.
  8. Vinnie

Vinnie Senior Member

Might want to check the intake gasket . I had one that the trottle body gasket leaked. When I stopped at a light the engine would surge .
  9. the new boss 92

did a test last night, 10lbs on the preshure line at the backof the throttle boddy. doesnt hold preshure either, slowly drops. ran great last night, went to start it this morning to plow and nothing. this thing has me right at the end of the road with it.
  10. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

There is a fuel pressure regulator on the back of the throttle body that can cause erratic readings even if the pump is ok.

What I really think it is-the ignition control module. The truck will start fine, run fine, and only begin losing power after it gets hot. Let it cool down, and it will have plenty of power again. If these match your symptoms, change the ignition control module. It is underneath the distributor cap.
  11. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

I had a 93 1500 that did that.

One night coming home from work it started chugging at 55 mph. When I got to the stop sign it quit. I got out with the flash light and looked everything over. After 20 minutes of talking to everyone's voice mail, the truck started and drove the last 5 miles pretty well.

A couple days later I was in town filling the cooler with "Silver Bullets" and the truck wouldn't start. My mechanic changed the ignition module, and the truck ran great.
  12. the new boss 92

but my qeustion would be how long does an ingnition mod do that before it goes out? truck been doing it on and off for like month and a half
  13. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

It can do it for months. You can have it tested at many parts stores-but if it is an intermittent hot failure it will test fine unless it is warmed up. It's a $50 part-if this only happens when it's hot, I'm 90% sure that is your problem.

Intermittent problems are the toughest to diagnose. If you didn't want to throw parts at it-next time it breaks down, check for spark. if you have none, then replace your icm.
  14. the new boss 92

ok i picked up a new distributor with a brand new ing mod i installed about a year ago and it was only ran in the truck for 2 months before it got totaled, so i will let you know what happens afterwards. when i got home from plowing it started right up and put her in the garage. ran fine after sitting out side for a couple hours. this is confusing the hell out of me i hope it was the ingnition mod.
  15. mtstclair

mtstclair Member
    from indiana

Where is the fuel pump ground? been haveing kind of the same problem
  16. the new boss 92

it goes into the frame kind of by the filler neck, they rust easy because they are so exposed. i just picked up a new distributor with pick up quoil and ingnition mod going to stick it in there after work, clean a couple grounds and go for a test ride.

ps my spelling sucks today had to plow this morning after getting an hour sleep. worked on my truck all day and then to work again and then back to the drawing board!
  17. the new boss 92

i have a new ingnition mod in it and it is still doing the same thing. still havent done the fuel pump yet but havent made the return.

another thing i noticed is the coil in the square steal ring moves alittle, is it suppossed to be tight or have some wiggle room?
  18. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

The coil should be tight from my recollection. A bad ground there will also cause low spark.

I doubt it is the fuel pump itself-though a faulty regulator can cause intermittent symptoms. Have you tried running the truck with a gauge like was suggested previously? Should be around 7 psi and hold steady.
  19. the new boss 92

no i havent ran it with the gauge, im going to throw a coil at it cause it seems to be have a bad conection in the holding ring. fuel pressure regulator will get changed aswell today, to see if it has anything to do/ change. this is confusing!
  20. the new boss 92

i really dont know how to thank you guys for helping me once again and giving me a whole bunch of stuff to do. my truck is fixed for now but i shouldnt speak so soon. the coil did it and im back on the road truckin'. thanks guys i really dont know how to thank you guys for the list of stuff to try to get it fixed!