1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Running tractor hydro fluid in Fisher..

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Buckgnarly, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Buckgnarly

Buckgnarly Junior Member
    from Vermont

I have an old Speedcast setup on my 89F250, was looking to make a mount for the blade for my tractor. Problem is, the tractor uses different fluid than the Fisher obviously, and I do not want to cross contaminate. The tractor will run the cylinders when on it (yes it will have a cushion valve), so I'd rather run the tractor (Shell ) hydro fluid in both.

Anyone have any idea if this will casue issues in the Fisher Speedcast electric over hydraulic pump?

Thanks, here's the two beasts.....

2. Brookside

Brookside Member

I'm no expert, but I'll take an educated guess and say I'd do it. I'd try to flush out all of the old fluid from the plow pump and rams and hoses. In fact, I'd flush it a couple of times. It would be a good time to pull the pump motor and clean out the reservoir and screen, too.
  3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

If you going mount to the tractor and run the tractor hydro system you wont need a pump on the plow just the angle rams all you will need
  4. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

defiantly do what brookside said. as long as its not contaminated and has not moisture in it you should be okay. my boss runs John Deere hydro fluid in an old fisher too and it has no problems. it may even be a good time to change the fluid on the tractor once you put the plow on and cycle it you will need to add more anyways so you might as well just drain it and re flush the whole system and start fresh.
  5. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

only if he has the connectors for the front aux :mechanic:
  6. Buckgnarly

Buckgnarly Junior Member
    from Vermont

Good to hear that it has been done with tractor hydro.

The setup is a Speedcast system, perfect for what I want. The pump stays on the truck, only the blade and frame with cylinders will switch between the two. Yes, I will use the remote to angle while it is on the tractor. The tractor use will be for backup, pushing banks, and knocking down rows. We get about 160" or so a year, it gets pretty high by about now.
    Just gathering parts now, this will be a Summer project. Getting an 8' blade this weekend