1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Running the beacon wiring to the roof

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by sagent, Oct 19, 2012.

1. sagent

sagent Junior Member

Does anyone have a better setup / method of running your factory beacon wiring from above the headliner up through the roof ? I've seen running it through or around the third brake light but this seems to be asking for a leak / wind noise. I'm wondering if there is a small low profile / flush mount waterproof electrical socket that you could mount on or in the exterior of the roof so that you could take your magnetic mount light on / off as needed and not have wires showing. Any ideas ?

2. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

We have wired several through the 3rd brake light with a waterproof connector then in the off season you can pull the light off and tuck the plug behind it till its needed again.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

i have my satellite radio wire running threw my 3rd bk like housing and have never had a issue so far. now i ran the wire under the housing not on the top of it. there are special sockets that equipment manufactures use, jcb, cat, mustang.... just for this type of situation. but drilling a hole in my cab wouldnt be my first option,,just my .02

4. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

We've got ten F-350's from 1996 to 2010 running around with Star mini bars wired through the 3rd brake light with a quick connect. Easy to take lights off and put back on and never a leak - when done properly. Here's what our's look like:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012