1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Running Plow lights and standard Headlights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 85F150, Mar 12, 2003.

1. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

I was going to hook up my running lights and turn signal lights on my plow directly into mine but then wire the h/l beam to a switch. I figured when i didn't have the plow on i would run both sets of lights. But my dad is telling me he doesn't think it is legal in Michigan.... what do you guys think....thanks for the help:drinkup:

2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Welcome to Plowsite!:drinkup:

That's the law in NY, you can run one or the other, but not both.

3. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

All our trucks are set up that way. It is illegal to run them but we do anyway. Mainly on the back roads though or late at night. Be sure and use Relays. You will burn switches out if you don't.

4. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

It's also illegal in PA. I never intended to run both sets together while on the road but inadvertantly did one night. The State Trooper explained to me the error of my ways, checked to be sure the plow lights had high and low beams, and let me off with a warning.

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

You can do it if you want,to use on the back roads.Like mentioned above,add relays,or a good separate switch,otherwise you'll cook the stock headlamp switch in short order.

6. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

ok thanks

ok thanks....but one other question...could i just leave the turn signals hooked up on both of them and use them both at the same time.....then just a seperate switch to turn the plow lights on low or high....thanks again

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

Re: ok thanks

Normally,the running lights and turn signals for both the plow lights and truck,should be wired together,and on together.Only the headlamps should be switched.

If you want to do it,just add a separate switch(s) to turn on the low and high beams on the plow lamps,and leave the factory headlamp wiring alone,running off the headlamp switch.The truck headlamps would operate normally,and you can turn on the plow lamps too,with your new switch(s).If you want just plow lamps,turn on your switch(s),and pull out the headlamp switch for running lamps only.

8. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

thanks

yeppers that is what i was planning on doin...thnaks for the help...:waving: