1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

running lights

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by karl klein, Feb 20, 2002.

1. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i just bought a 1976 chevy c20 pick up and put on a flat bed but my problem is that the rear running lights do not work although both rear brake and turn signals operate fine

please help thanks

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

knicked wires, blown fuse? what have you checked so far to narrow it down?

3. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

1. i have checked the fuses and that is how i got the brake lights to work
    2. i could not fined any bad connections although i probably could look a little harder

3. i did find one burnt up wire under the dash brown with white stripe and was wondering what that goes to

4. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

By "running lights" I take it you mean the tail lights? They are on a separate circuit from the rear turn/brake lights altogether which is why those ones are working OK.

A further assumption is: they are all not working and you've checked the bulbs/fuse and found them OK.

One possible cause could be the headlight switch itself, although I have a feeling the problem may lie in the wiring running along the frame to the rear of the truck. Any spots where the wiring has been joined are suspect, I would suggest beginning at the headlight switch with a test light and working your way back along the circuit until you find a spot where the electricity isn't getting through. The brown wire is the one you're interested in - that's the tail light one.

Regarding the burnt wire under the dash that you found, you will have to trace it back and see where it leads to. If it is related to the tail light circuit it will come from the headlight switch.

Be patient, electrical repairs can be frustrating, I know I've used a few bad words when chasing down wiring problems.......................... :(

Last edited: Feb 20, 2002