1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Running just the pump motor...

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by mkwl, Nov 17, 2008.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I was working on my plow this past weekend- changed the fluid, all the hoses (for good measure), cleaned the filter and resivoir, etc to get the plow ready. Now- it was sittign in my garage (unused) since March. When I was trying to take it out, the motor acted like it was siezed up- my dad (who is an electrical engineer) suggested "lightly" hitting the motor with a rubber mallet to help loosen the motor up- crazy as it sounds it actually worked! He was saying it it was possible for him to run the motor every few weeks (since my plow is at home, and my truck is up here in NY with me as school), with a battery by hooking a battery up to the two studs (+ and -) on the motor, it might help prevent the motor from "sticking." Does anyone know what would happen if he did this just to run the motor with a battery (not hooked up to my truck)?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

There will be no plow movement - it will just run the motor on relief. What your dad is doing is just preventing the armature from freezing up

Brian

3. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Your dad is an engineer he should know....

4. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

Wont hurt anything to run it like that

5. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Okay- then I'll ask him to run the motor off a battery every other week or so so I don't have the same problem again in a month when I'm back from school to plow. What's the armature?

6. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

What's that supposed to mean? He's not an electrical engineer for Fisher- we weren't sure if running it would damage the system or put pressure on something or something like that.

7. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

It should not be necessary to do this for the most part. If the motor is sticking I would take it apart and clean it and spray it down with a corrosion inhibitor.

The armature is the part that spins when power and ground is applied to the motor. The bottom of it mates with the pump.

8. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

What's the procedure for removing the motor?