1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

running in 4x4

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DBL, Feb 10, 2006.

1. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

i know one of my drivers runs around 4hi all the time because he forgets to take it out of 4wd is this bad for the truck running it like that on the road

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

It does not help any, but as long as it is in 4wd hi and he does not beat the truck, it should be OK. Tell him to remember to take it out!!!!:dizzy: :eek:

3. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I doubt it will hurt the truck, may wear the tires out faster though, especially if it's on dry pavement.

4. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

avoid driving in it on dry pavement in 4hi, but more so in 4lo

I keep it in 4hi most of the time. My truck came with electronic transfer case and constantly switching back and forth scares me.

5. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I'd say avoid running in 4hi on dry pavement too. Give the driver a 2wd truck. He'll be all set.

6. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

what exactly is the difference between 4hi and 4lo i really dont know

7. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

4HI is regular gearing, but all 4 wheels. Your speeds, etc.. are the same in all gears.

4LO is lower gearing. You will find you can't go over 40 and you redline. In reverse you can't go fast at all.

8. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

DO NOT engage the 4X4 unless completely nessicary! It wears everything out and does a lot of damage when you turn the wheels. It also wrecks the tires. It also uses a lot more gas. NOT a good idea to ride around in 4X4

-Thann

9. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

4HI is designed for driving in adverse conditions at road speeds. It says so in your manual. Wether it be rainy, icy or snowy conditions. Unless the road is dry, it won't wreck your tires or gears.

4LO is not designed for highway speeds.

Neither will cause damage when turning unless on dry pavement. On loose dirt/gravel it doesn't make a difference.

10. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

thanks for clearing that up guys i had a hunch but needed the explanation

11. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

Yeah, never drive 'em on dry pavement. You should see how it turns when it's on dry asphalt....

12. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

why does it do it on dry but not on wet or loose ground

13. imdawrlus

imdawrlus Member

drive your truck in a circle.......which wheels are moving faster?? the front wheels obviously.....so when your in 4wd on pavement all 4 wheels have to go the same speed, and if all the wheels are gripping the pavement then your gonna hear some funny noises......

it still "does it" in mud and snow, you just dont notice because the wheels slip

14. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

You need some "slipage" so you dont get axle binding when turning. You have traction to all 4 tires and they grip dry pavement. Try putting your truck in 4 hi on dry pavement and turn hard. What happens ? You get wheel hop. Now try it in snow, no problem. Because your getting some slipage to eliminate the axle binding.
    Todd

15. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

Anytime you turn with 4X4 engaged, the outer wheels are moving faster, so even if you are on snow or gravel it still does damage to the truck, so do not make it a habit.

-Thann

16. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

When you turn the fron differential lets the outer wheels turn faster than the inner wheels, just like the rear diff- it doesn;t cause ANY damage. The bouncing you feel when turning in 4wheel is from the ujoint in the front axle's being at extreme angles- anything more than 15 degrees. Minimal wear and no more wear then running in 2wd in a CAD axle truck. As long as there is not bare dry roads you have no problem- wet roads are only slightly better since you need some slip at the tire to road contact area to allow the mismatch from the ratios of the front and rear axles to dissapate.

Most trucks have center axle disconnect 4wd systems- no locking hubs. the gas milage difference is not nearly as great as a locking hub truck, and the front end spins all the time anyway so wear is not a factor- at all.

If you feel you need 4x4 use it. If you can drive without it then do.