1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

running HOT

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by hammerheadsh, Feb 4, 2010.

1. hammerheadsh

hammerheadsh Junior Member

i have a 05 dodge with a cummins diesel.i just installed a meyers st 7.5 poly plow.its running hot.with temps between 203 and 212 common will the truck is lugging.i've hit 219-221 before.i've tried running in tow mode,running with the plow in every postion.low/high/side to side and straight.i've even tried adding a piece of plexiglass to the pump unit to try and deflect some air into the radiator.any advise.i'm thin g of changing the clutch fan but how much help is that and will that make the truck run too cool without the plow on.thanks everyone

2. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Doesn't sound normal to me....My truck doesn't heat up at all when running (and I have a chevy-so you know it sits real high!)-I have a friend with a 94 cummins and his doesn't either. Sure you don't have air in the system or anything basic like that? I had a bad fan clutch once and it caused it to heat up significantly because it couldn't pull air-but it was bad enough that it would spin with barely any resistance.

3. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

is your fan coming on?

4. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Is it an electric fan on that truck? I guess I assumed because he said he was looking into a new clutch fan that it was directly coupled to the engine. If it's electric that's a whole different story.

5. hammerheadsh

the fan is coming on but its a tall plow and it seems to be blocking all the air to the radiator.its not an electric fan.thanks for the replies

6. sno commander

from ct

i think you need a new fan clutch or a heavy duty one. mine stays around 190-200 with the plow at any position.

7. hammerheadsh

Snocamnder that's what I was thinking.is there any affect with the plow off.ie does the truck get up to normal operating temps.thank you

8. sno commander

from ct

it gets up to normal fine,it takes a little time but it gets there. do you have the plow prep.

9. hammerheadsh

I don't believe I have the plow package.would I be better off getting the dodge clutch fan or one from naps

10. hammerheadsh

opps my typing stinks.or one from napa

11. sno commander

from ct

id go with the oem. hopefully that will fix your problem. post back here to see how it all works out.

12. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Do run live in a area of dirt roads or heavy dust??? It is rare for a Cummins to run hot on a 3rd gen 5.9 truck 2500/3500 !!! Swap out the clutch fan and give the cluster of radiators/condensors and coolers a good wash from the front with the hood up. Watch for brown water or muddy runoff.

On mine I can run down the Hwy doing 65 blade all the way up, towing a loaded trailer and still runs in the normal range WRT temp.

13. hammerheadsh

i will put in new fan clutch and repost.thank you.no dirt road here in connecticut and i have cleaned radiators.

14. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Make sure it is only doing it when you have the plow on. If it is then it is normal. mine will do it once in a while. I have had mine spike pretty good going up a steep hill or if I am on the pedal good, but comes right back down. Just have to travel with the plow lower to the ground to allow for airflow.

I have had this discussion a few times on other forums. All say it is OK.

15. Booman70

Booman70 Senior Member

Mine gets a lil over 200 maybe 205 sometimes with the plow on a warmer day never overheats I'd say if its not overheating dont worry unless its getting real hot

16. hammerheadsh

Fine without plow.it hits 208 - 212 at 40mph and I'm not in the throttle.I can coast down a good size hill and stay at 207 all the way down.imnot comfortable with that.

17. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Try snapping a pic of the truck with the blade on and all the way up. Side profile would be the best!!!

18. hammerheadsh

daffmobile i wiil take a pic sometime next week.i'm on call and my truck is at work til next week.ty 4 the help

19. TBittner

TBittner Junior Member

ya mine can barely make 200 maybe 205 at the most

20. hammerheadsh

Tested my fan clutch no good.new one on the way