1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Running Hot!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by tls22, Dec 17, 2008.

1. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Hello fellow plowers, i have a 2500hd gmc with a 7.5 fisher! My route for plowing consists of alot of highway traveling! It seems like my temp is always around 200, goes one degree above the eng hot light comes on! I try diff blade positions, had it so low that it scrapes a little when i go over small bumps! Its there anything else i can do? I hate the way i have to baby this temp, i just want to get in it and go!

Thanks Tim

Have a great holiday you crazy plowers!
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Well since you have a Chevy do you have the hd clutch fan?
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Mine does the same thing ('05 2500HD Silverado, 8' Fisher). Goes just over the 200 mark. Seems to happen only under a load while traveling (like climbing uphill). I stop and rev it a little till cools down (tranny, too). Then it's good for the day.
  4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

GM has a service bulletin out for that issue. Replace clutch fan assy with HD version.
  5. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like a common GM truck issue... this is the main reason we switched to all diesel plow trucks. They seem to run alot cooler under load and with the plows on and such.
    I would check into getting a different fan clutch or extra fan that should help alot
  6. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

My temp normal always runs right about 200, with the plow on it seems to be about 210-230 but no engine hot light. tls if you haven't noticed yet I got a plow check my threads:)
  7. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

200 is a little warmer than usual but certainly nothing that would hurt it..
  8. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

I experienced the same problem with my Silverado. My dealer just replaced the clutch fan with the HD .. they actually did it free of charge since my truck was supposed to have the plow prep package anyways.
  9. NootDogg

NootDogg Senior Member
    from WI

We found that if you run it with no overdive it seems to be fine also. Our 2002 GMC one ton desiel does the same thing, but I cant run that in 3 without going over 45mph. (and I need speed lol)
  10. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

200-210 is normal for those trucks, my engine light usually comes on around 230 or so. Gotta take it easy on the pedal and keep the speed down, ive found that helps prevent that.
  11. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

What a coincidence! I had a plow put on my truck this year and the second storm out, I overheated. I was pretty sure it was the clutch fan as well so I talked to my mechanic and called the dealer as well. They confirmed the diagnosis. Trucks going in on Monday (weather permitting of course) to have it upgraded. I'm certainly not going to go through this every storm.
  12. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

Chevy's appear to run hot. My old f150 never had a problem and I know it ran cooler. My 1500 runs 210 all the time. While plowing it goes up to 220-230 until the electric fans kick on and it instantly drops back to 210. I too have to run the plow at about ground scraping level while driving to keep it from going up too fast. The only problem is that the engine temp drives my tranny temp up too but so far no warning lights!
  13. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

If I had a permenant plow truck i'd be mounting an electric pusher fan in front of everything and mounting an in cab switch.
  14. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

HD fan clutch on mine solved all overheats
  15. maineguides

maineguides Junior Member

I had a 8.5 extreme v installed yesterday (03 2500hd). On the way home she overheated, Today I installed a Hd fan clutch I got at Autozone ($64). It took me about 1hr to do. I have gone on a couple road trips and Its not overheating anymore.
  16. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

my truck runs at 210 all the time. maybe 230 at the most under working conditions
  17. dadam

dadam Junior Member

I have a 95 K1500/ Hiniker 7'6" with 246,000 on it. I know what ur all thinkin. I angle my blade all the way to the left and no problems. Straight or to the right she runs about 240. Its just the nature of the beast.
  18. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Is there a way to tell what clutch fan I have. I have a 1500 but it has the snow plow prep package. If I can upgrade I should do that
  19. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

I don't think this was an issue until the later models. I had a '98 that never had any problems. I friend of mine has a 2001 3500 and an '02 2500 that both had to have the hd version installed and my new '04 will be done on Monday.
  20. Plowinpro03

Plowinpro03 Senior Member

hmm.wow...i have a 96 tahoe...1500 with an 8ft 29T Sno-way mounted up front..and on a 40degree day, i get scarred when my temp gauge hits 210 on the highway..........but i have yet to get hotter then that..and the beast is just pushing 150k on the clock..