1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Running hot ?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by BeastMaster, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Got my new 8' Boss Super Duty Str. Blade on my '98 Dodge 3/4 ton. I drove it around town just to get the feel this evening, 20 mph and less. I drove no more than 2 mi. and the engine temp. ga. got up to 205F right now.

You have to drive w/ the blade up, thus, you block the grille. I fear the truck will over-heat when plowing this winter.

**Oh, Nov. or not...it was 75 here today. We don't get cold or snow in my part of IN. till after Christmas really. Snow season here is Jan-mid Mar.

2) Should I install a trans temp. ga. ? I'm afraid the trans will go next.....had a lot of trouble w/ this truck lately .New Chrysler re-man in Oct. Big $$ in this rig.

011.JPG

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

angle the plow and lower it so the radiator gets more airflow
    if you do a "search" there is a ton of info on overheating problems and solutions

3. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Replace the fan clutch with a heavy duty one. That will solve a lot of problems right there. They are very easy to do and only about 100 bucks.

4. Don't think my fan has a clutch. The fan runs all the time like any good, older V-8 would. Can't lower the blade too much as w/ the blade angled for driving and all the way up, it's only about 8" off he ground. Lowering to within 3" of the ground still leaves most of the blade above the grille. This is the Super Duty 8' Boss, it's a big boy, even for a 3/4 ton truck.

5. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Until you see a 9' 2" V on one...

My suggestion is would be to buy a ScanGauge II. It plugs directly to your OBDII port, and lets you monitor up to 4 functions at a time, including coolant, trans, and voltage.

Highly worth it, extremely easy to install.

6. My gauge cluster already has the voltmeter, engine temp. gauge. However, the trans temp. would be good to know. Where can I get a Scan Gauge II.... Auto Zone ?

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Try running a snow deflector on the blade. Right now the wind curls off the blade and forces the air that is going over the blade to go higher and not through the grill. My belief is a snow deflector will allow more are to go directly over the blade. If you drive with your blade straighter you can also have it lower.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Then a previous owner removed it because it did....or it still does, you're just not aware of it.

Getting a fresh extreme duty clutch on there will go a long way to solving the issue.

9. Emailing the dealer NOW and taking the plow back. It's junk. Noticed 2 1/2" diff. in the distance from the frame that goes down ea. side under the lights. 5" on one side to the bumper, 2" +/- on the other. One side will not disengage, dropped loose on me and I was stuck w/ one side of the plow on the ground ! Had to jack the engaged side up to get the plow loose so I could drive away. I've had enough already. They can have it back (Mr. Plow, Greenville, OH). My truck prolly won't handle the stress anyway. I'm done w/ plows....and I've owned one 48 hrs.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The last time it was attached it wasn't done so fully/correctly. :nod:

11. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Funny my 3/4 ton Dodge drove for 3 hours today in mid 60's without ever getting past 1/2 way through the temp range. Probably because I have a heavy duty clutch fan...

12. I can't imagine the hell this would be when everything is coated w/ snow and ice. I just don't think it's worth the hassle. I can't get it back to the dealer this week b/c I'm having teeth cut out, told em to send a field truck (2.5 hrs. one way) and come get it...wiring, mount and all. I've had it.

032.JPG

034.JPG

041.JPG

042.JPG

040.JPG

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did you remove, then attach the plow yourself AFTER you left the dealer?

14. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

It looks like you're just having problems remounting the plow. The install looks fine. If this is causing you to hang it all up than I can't imagine how you'll handle the plow season. Probably a good idea to give it back.

15. B&B, yes, I did. This is the funny part, it was fine one minute. Next time I re-mounted (practicing) it wasn't. We pracitced at the dealer, him giving me "lessons", then I at home too.
    It either engages or doesn't, their's no critical aligning or anything to be operator error. It goes in, or you back up, and go again. You can hear it click when it's in, and, I look to see that the pins are thru.

I DO NOT like the auto pin thru engineering on this plow and told them so at the dealer as soon as I saw it. Pins pushed into place by a spindly spring are not a good design. Had them on other things (not plows) and they work for a few min. is all. Once the spring breaks that pushes the pin thru, you're screwed. When the push thru spring is encased in ice...then what if you want to unhook ? Bad idea from Boss.

Plowguy43: No prob mounting. As I said, it either mounts or not. Something has sprung for one side to be 3" from the pin hole and the other to be dead on. The one mount side simply cannot get close enough to the plow pin hole to mount. You drive up, get centered, it clicks in place. Done.
    Then, something happened at home and now it won't.

When nearly 1/2" thick steel, springs out of alignment that easily (only explanation) then the design is flawed. Something has sprung and badly, but I can't find it or see it. There's a lot of junk out there and I always get it.
    Boss may be good, but they have duds too and they somehow always find my wallet.
    We get 3-4 pushable snows a winter is all and their are plows out the ass here, so, not worth the hassle really.

16. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

It looks to me like whoever put the plow on last time didn't drive it in far enough to lock in one side. Really no big deal once you know what to look for.

17. The part you all are not understanding is, you CANNOT drive the pass. side into lock ! The drivers side is in place and locks as it should. Therefore, it scoots the plow and, the pass. side cannot engage. Donkey chasing the carrot on a stick type of thing. I think the pass. side got sprung out SIDEWAYS and now it cannot get close to engaging.
    You see, metal, no matter how thick, is only so strong when forced from the SIDE. A side force, w/ the 750+ lbs. on the plow, will stress metal immediately. This is the only thing I can think that happened. However, I hit nothing, only drove into the plow to hitch up, didn't scoot left or right. Did bump the contro and the blade turned a littlem as it was on the ground, but, if this is all it takes to spring a Boss out of whack, I don't want the tinfoil thing.

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did your dealer also instruct you to push the plow at least a few inches forward as you drive into it in order to square the blade up to the mount and then set the E-brake so the truck doesn't rock back before exiting it? If not and you didn't, then you weren't fully lined up and the pass pin didn't lock because you weren't square and fully in the mount. That's the reason guys can't get them to function reliably, therefore results are the situation here.

If the pin was in to begin with, it didn't "pop out" on it's own because they can't. Yes I realize you said you checked them both but it's obvious the plow was raised with only one pin engaged (due to a partial attach) and now it's bent from lifting 700 lbs worth of plow on a single pin and now somethings bent...that's the only way they get out of whack. So, now it's bent and will probably never work correctly/reliably regardless of what procedure you use but when the procedure is followed correctly a one armed blind man can attach one of these and not have a problem.

There's thousands and thousands of these RT3's out there and the only time there's a problem such as this is when it's not attached fully. The pins don't fall out, pop out or pull out on their own after it's correctly attached; it simply wasn't in there in to begin with. Perhaps you swear you psychically looked and it was, and being new to the equipment I can believe that ...but I will boldly say it in fact wasn't.

There's nothing wrong with the install and there wasn't anything wrong with the plow but there may be now. Need a new push beam (or straighten the hooks) at least and I wouldn't expect the dealer to cover any of it since it wasn't an issue caused on their part or the plow. Instead it's simply a lack of experience with the equipment and sometimes it just takes some learning the hard way.

Not what anyone wishes to hear, but that's simply how it is.

19. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I have to agree with B&B. I have never had a problem installing my boss plows. Just because you had a problem with it once doesn't mean you will have a issue down the road. It was different when I first got my new RT3.