1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Running Crushed Rock Through Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by TurfSolutionsMN, Feb 9, 2015.

1. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

I have a 4 yard Air Flo Spreader with a chain. I am getting a lot of people asking about spreading crushed rock on their farm sites. We have received a lot of freeze and thaws lately, with freezing rain. There was a local quarry company that had a spreader truck that ran crushed rock threw. But now they went out of business. I am very nervous about wrecking my spreader, we only run sand/sand threw it now. What are your thoughts?
  2. alfman

alfman Junior Member

We run cinders (#9 pea gravel), and sometimes #9 crushed lime stone through our 4.5 yd Meyers (Swenson) and our smaller 2 yd airflos.
    I just open up the feed gate and let it fly. On lanes I'll adjust my shields down and on open areas all the way up. You use a lot more cinders per application than salt.
    I really don't see any harm being done to the spreaders. We just clean and grease them well after using them.
    The only issue we have had is it will loosen up our #40 chains on the spinner to clutch on our oldest unit.
  3. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

What size crushed rock are you talking?
  4. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

In my area we can get 3/4"-1" or 5/16" with fines.
  5. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

#8's ought to be OK as they're the same size as salt but I wouldn't do anything bigger than that