1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Running Bulk in VBox

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by HitchC&L, Feb 29, 2012.

1. HitchC&L

HitchC&L Member

I have a 2 yard Diamond VBox.

I have only run a mixture of sand/salt through it, and I am wondering if I am able to run bulk salt? I have read a few people have trouble running it in some spreaders, wondering if this is one of them.

Also, looking at adding a SnowEx 3 yard poly next year, the dealer said that people had trouble running bulk salt because it would just go through it too quick, is this true?
  2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

you should have no problem running straight salt through that unit.
  3. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

Smaller tailgate spreaders have issues with bulk and clog up.
  4. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Compared to sand -salt bulk salt spreads much easier, you'll have no problems.
  5. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

X3 you will have no problem running bulk salt.

After an ice storm last winter we ran about 10 yards of straight sand thru our v boxes on gravel lots and drives and all I will say is sand sucks. We made awesome money but it was a nightmare to spread.
  6. HitchC&L

HitchC&L Member

Awesome, Im glad to hear it.

What about the SnowEx unit? Anyone have any experience there?
  7. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Snow-Ex is overpriced. Plus they have a metal frame that will rust once the powder coat comes off it. You can almost buy 2 saltdoggs made by buyers for the price of a snow x.

Maybe the snowxs are lighter then a dogg less plastic it looks like.
  8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

we have many snow ex....yes they do rust,,the frames. the spinner motor and trans do have some corrosion issues after awhile. just replaced 3 motors and 2 trans. got them aftermarket,,updated hd units.
    we run bulk treated salt only in ours,,not had a prob since.
  9. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

SnowEx spreader

We run many snowex spreaders and they are great. We've been using SnowEx for 7 years and have spent less on maintenance than any spreader we've used in our 33 years of experience. They are not the least expensive to buy, but they are the least expensive to use.

That's our experience.