1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

running a sander + plow on same truck

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by coppertec, Oct 3, 2013.

1. coppertec

coppertec Member
    from calgary

hey guys, I have someone who is looking to sell a plow + blade for what sounds like a decent price. I have only got the one truck at the moment so they would be both going on the same rig. any comments for or against it?
    I would go with just the plow considering $$$ but it sounds like it would be worth scooping the two.

Silverado 2500 long box if that helps

2. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

I you only have one truck I don't think you have much choice.
    Some of my sanders are removed for plowing some get left on.
    Plow w sander empty if you can.
    Put airbags in the rear to help w loaded sander weight.

3. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Theres only like a billion guys who have salt spreaders and plows on the same truck. I do on my 350, but I do plow with it empty, way to hard on the truck with it loaded with a ton of salt

4. coppertec

coppertec Member
    from calgary

Yea I've seen a lot with the equipment on them at the same time, but i never knew if they were loaded or not. I haven't bought the sander yet so I'm not quite obligated to it. But how would I run with the sander empty? Just load up some buckets and then add as needed?

5. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

I always ran my 2000 7.3 with my vbox loaded up pushing an xls. no issues

6. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

Plow with it empty. It may be worth it to have a aluminum cover made for it. When storm is over have it loaded to do your route. When done If nothing else is coming in run it empty till next time. Or leave material in depending on the type of accounts you have for retreat if needed.

7. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I plow loaded. No issues, hardly have to use 4x4

8. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

This guy knows whats up.

9. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Thank god the guy who sold you that Ford didnt plow loaded, no wear and tear on that 7.3

10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Any time I've run a v box I always plow loaded or plow then salt the lot as soon as I'm done before going to the next lot.

I do the same with my tailgate spreader, I've always got at least a half pallet with me until the very end of the storm.

11. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Agreed. Not sure i know many contractors that plow unloaded. Plow salt at the same time.

12. TPCLandscaping

TPCLandscaping Senior Member

I always plow with sand/salt mix in the truck. I run a 2 yard sander. It's the best way to get traction. As long as you don't load it over the GVW you'll be fine.