1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Running a GMC 3500HD dually with single rear wheels?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mkwl, Dec 15, 2014.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Hey Guys-

Wondering if I can run my 2012 GMC 3500HD DRW chassis cab with only single rear wheels for plowing (increased ground pressure with singles versus duals, and narrower footprint)? Will I damage anything? Spacers needed to run only one wheel per side on the studs?

Matt

2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

It has dual wheels for a reason

3. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

I did it on a f-450 all winter with no problems. I used a bare rim for the inside tire.

4. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Yes, I know- for weight distribution across 4 tires- but I'm not going to run it with a load of stone in the back (just with enough ballast to satisfy Western's recommendations).

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Gm still making hd's
    Your also forgetting the weight of the bed and whatever's on it

6. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

I have always preferred a dually over single as the truck does not get pushed around by the snow nearly as quickly. Not to mention, if you get a flat tire with one of the duallies you just keep plowing.