1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Running 2 spreaders-wiring question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by yardsmith, Dec 21, 2013.

1. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

Hey guys & gals
    Can't find the $$ for a bulk spreader this winter; wasn't in the cards I guess. But I'm already using alot of bagged salt, which is costing me more than I want. I have a way I can feasibly use bulk salt........
    I have 2 extra spreaders, the old Meyer's / Buyers tall 2 ft X 2 ft type, with vibratory units for both. I want to mount them side by side on my truck & use bulk salt, with fortification into the bed rails to support the extra weight.
    My question is I want to run one controller for both spreaders, since I will only be using one at a time (the vibratory units I may run 2 switches for them). What kind of device / toggle switch / relay / etc. do I need to switch power from one to the other. I am looking for something similar to the switch on a pickup that switches from one gas tank to the other.
    Any ideas?? Thanks :mechanic:
    PS- below is my rough diagram of how I'm looking to do it; just want to know what I can use to switch current from one to the other

Salt spreader diagram.jpg

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  2. aczlan

aczlan Junior Member

You need a DPDT (Double Pole Double Throw) switch (like http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Toggle-Switch-Center/dp/B001FRE1E8/ but heavier) or a DPDT relay. That would switch power for both the spinner and the vibrator at the same time.
    Power from the controller goes into the center terminals and the spreader/vibrator wires hook to the outer terminals.

Aaron Z

3. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

You can do this pretty easily using relays you get at TSC or somewhere. Do you know the current your spreader can draw max?

I can draw you up a quick schematic for the relays if you let me know what current level you could see. Do you also want to be able to adjust the speed of the spreader motors?

Edit: I didn't fully read the post, get a switch like aaron recommended, it'll work fine. (that particular switch has a 20 amp current rating)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013