1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Runnin' hot!:yow!:

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by peteo1, Dec 20, 2011.

1. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

We finally got some snow up here and I had the truck out for its maiden plow voyage. I found a few problems that were/are easily correctable but the one I am not sure of is the overheating. I have a 04 hemi 1500 fisher 7'6" plow, yeah I know, half ton truck, not for plowing, blah blah blah. Anyhow i called my local fisher dealer and they told me most times its the fan clutch getting weak. I plan on doing a coolant flush too. I looked around and a fan clutch is only $60 for a heavy duty one so why not, it seems fairly inexpensive and an easy fix. I was wondering if anyone else out there had this problem with their Hemi and if so could shed any light on the subject. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

2. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

when driving between jobs keep the plow lower, whats happening is you are blocking the airflow from your engine.

3. HEStufrthnnails

HEStufrthnnails Senior Member

Also I'd check to make sure the truck has a transmission cooler on it to. Being a 1/2 ton there's a chance it may not and you definitely want one on there. Remember if the engine is getting hot ,so is the trans.and that is death on the trans. especially. I have a 95" 3/4ton and it is real common for it to run warm as well and as ford6.9 said run the plow just off the deck to aid in cooling it.

4. ajcoop20

ajcoop20 Senior Member

Hemi motor and trans' are the same from the 1500's all the way to the 3500's if he has towing package he has a tranny cooler. his fan clutch is prolly bad, I was also suggest taking the truck to the car wash and using low pressure rinse in a hand wante and spraying teh radiator out, its amazing how much of a differnce that makes, my 2500 diesel cooled down 10 degrees doing that alone!!

5. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks guys. I should have probably mentioned that my truck does have the tow package and it has a tranny cooler and a few other coolers as well, some of which I'm not even sure what they're for.

Aj--Thanks. I'll head to the car wash and try that too.

6. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

Fan clutch and a 180* thermostat......

7. soapy

soapy Junior Member
    from idaho

I put a 7.5 snow dogg on my 2001 dakota and it started over heating immediatly with the plow on. Problem turned out to be a weak fan clutch. No problem since the new clutch fan installed. You can also get a fan with more fan blades that will move more air.