1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Run this particular hyd pump dry?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by catmandu, Dec 28, 2010.

1. catmandu

catmandu Junior Member

I have a 1984 International s1700 with a crank mounted pump to power the dump bed and plow. It blew a line, and since the plow was up and straight, and I was at a place I could leave the truck, I parked it. Given the setup, one would think the designers would plan for such a situation and allow the truck to limp home, but I just don't know.

I am going to try and pull the line today for replacement where it sits, but worst case, could I run the truck ten minutes back to the shop without hydraulic fluid on such a pump?

2. pmorrissette

pmorrissette Senior Member

I would not.

3. catmandu

catmandu Junior Member

Thanks. The line replacement was easy enough in the field, so no worries.

Stopped by the county's road division repair shop and talked to an old feller, he too said don't run it dry, get smart on removing the four or five bolts that attach it to the crank so that limping home is an option. Also said 99% of them self prime, so tomorrow I will replace the rusty filter, add 5 gallons of fluid, crank it up and bring it home!

4. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

ya when i used to be a truck mechanic for a trash company thats how all the trucks were. when you get it back to the shop pull the shaft and put neversieze on the pump shaft. they freeze on there and can be a real PITA to get apart in the dark in the middle of a snow storm. should be four bolts at the engine side and then a square head set screw in the yoke on the pump side. may have some mechanic wire through the screw just cut it and replace it.