1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Run ATF in your plows?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Flawless440, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Just curious on some opinions on running ATF in the newer style plows?
    I always ran it in my Meyers but I have got rid of my Meyers and replaced them with another a new boss and Western. ATF is convenient at 3am in the heat of the battle.

Thanks for the feed back...

2. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I never have in my Boss plows. Why not just have a couple of the real fluid quarts in each truck? You probably could gey away with ATF but then in order to run the good stuff you have to make sure you totally drain the system.

3. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

I run atf in my plows. Ital is right though, either or, not both combined. You MAY find that your blade is a bit slower when REALLY cold with ATF though.

4. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

From what I hear BOSS plows do not like ATF, to many additives, takes out seals. Just use the right stuff, cheap compared to the plow. Only holds 2 QTs or so. It is just MIL Spec Aircraft Hydraulic fluid.

5. Flawless440

Dealer installs the plows with the blue fluid, not even the boss fluid.. I thought that was weird

6. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

yeah, i was told by our hiniker dealer to not use ATF...i wouldn't risk it...i found out our fluid is blue also at the end of the last storm when the line busted...

we use boss fluid for our boss's

7. ducaticorse

from we

I really wish an actual engineer would give a finite answer on this. I dont necessarily trust the dealers because they are just salesmen in the end. My (fisher) plows have run fine on ATF. There is also several knock off brands of the "blue". Who's to say its not ATF colored differently? Food for thought..

8. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

I use ATF in all. Meyer, boss, arctic. Only if it gets colder than he'll freezing over is it questionable. But we also add a little alcohol to keep it from freezing. Never had a problem. Meyer we tear down and new seals every year. Never touched the boss or arctic in the past 5 years other than to drain and flush.

9. Flawless440

Great Intel guys...

Never herd of adding alcohol... Rubbing alcohol??

10. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

Why cheap out over some hydro fluid? Why not just follow manufacturers specs?

11. ducaticorse

from we

Convenience. Not being forced to use a product that is twice as expensive because it happens to be a "blue". Sure i'll change if someone can show me irrefutable evidence to the contrary, till then I'll stick with ATF....

12. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Methanol, also known as methyl alcohol, wood alcohol.

Same stuff used in windshield washer fluid. If you are experiencing extreme cold you can add a little extra to your ww fluid and then it won't refreeze on your windshield.

13. maxwellp

Any Mil Spec 5606 Oil.
    Airplane landing gear oil
    Airplane brake fluid

14. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

My local dealer who I bought my last plow from uses SAMS fluid in all new plows says it the same as western fluid
    I noticed my 08 plows western fluid was red and my 11 plow was blue that cam directly from DeJana on LI N.Y now last bottle of western was blue not red any more. I have switched to SAMS fluid last year and have not had any problems during an emergency I mixed regular ATF finished up the storm and no issues mixingb. Next day I flushed and refilled with all SAMS as long as there is no water mixed in I doubt it will freeze or give you any problems

15. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Not rubbing alcohol .... the stuff that's in my cup holder !!!!!:sleeping:

16. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

I had less problems with ATF in my plows then the blue stuff. The filter in the pump on my v used to gel up with the blue oil .i went with ATF like all my others and have not had a problem for over 4 years

17. maxwellp

Here are some Questions for you all,
    Any one ever have any problems with BOSS oil?
    ATF? If ATF what kind?
    The Blue stuff?
    How about straight weight 10w oil Non detergent?

18. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

No problems with Boss oil.

19. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

Any winter service Hydraulic fluid will work just fine . I have used Hy-Tran forever !

20. sargex595

sargex595 Member

When I went to buy fluid from my Fisher dealer they told me just to buy the red ATF fluid so that is what I did. All my plows have had ATF in them and I never had a problem and never noticed any difference even with -0 temps and below.

Curt.