1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by V10SCOTTY, Feb 8, 2005.

1. V10SCOTTY

V10SCOTTY Member
    from Ontario

I had heard that Dodge will be putting a Mercedes Diesel in their Rams in the up and coming years.It would only make sence since dodge owns detroit diesel/allison which owns Mercedes.Has anybody else heard this?????

1998 2500 ram ext. cab 4X4 v10
    2004 western Star tri-axle dump Mercede's 450hp
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I heard that too. there already putting a Mercedes tranny in there sprinter vans.
  3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Um, Dodge does not, and never has owned Detroit Diesel/Allison. DD/Alison are, and always have been General Motors Companies.

There have been rumors about a Mercedes Diesel in the Rams since Daimler bought Chrysler (thay claim it's a merger but it's not). You will probabily see a Mercedes in the near future because of economics on the parent companies but I expect the Cummins will still be an option.
    Ford, in the 1980's, owned a 49% share of Cummins and was going to replace the IH engines in their trucks with Cummins- They became an option but not the standard. Infact they are still an option on medium duty (550+up I believe). Cummins bought themselves out from Ford by 1990.

Anyway, Dodge had a share in Caterpillar around 1998-2001 but I don;t believe that is still.

and if they offer the Mercedes Diesel try it- it's a great engine. I love my Cummins, but I have fair experiance with Mercedes diesels too.
  4. V10SCOTTY

V10SCOTTY Member
    from Ontario

I have also heard that chev is in charge of Detroit Diesel.But I was checking out my 12.7 litre Mercedes diesel and on the engine tag it says that Mercedes diesel is a Daimler Chrysler Company so it kinda got me thinkin.Also did you know that the cummins engine in the ford F-700 and F-800 is a 5.9L cummins.I had pulled a skidsteer around with one for awhile and it had great power compared to the 6.5L diesel I used to pull it with.I wish I had the $$$ for a dodge with a cummins cause those guys must get spoiled with all the power in their 3/4 tons.Case also puts a 5.9L in their 621B loader.Either way Cummins or Mercedes my new Dodge will have one or the other.

1998 Dodge Ram Ext. cab 2500 4X4 V10
    2004 Western Star Tri-axle dump Mercedes450Hp
  5. VictoryRedK1500

VictoryRedK1500 Member

That's because the Sprinter vans are built by Mercedes Benz. All the Sprinter is is a rebadged Mercedes Van. I believe Freightliner also has a version of this van, but I don't remember what they call it.
  6. tuna

tuna Senior Member

Allison is still a subsidiary of GM but Detroit Diesel was sold but to whom i forgot.
  7. tuna

tuna Senior Member

8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Thanks Tuna- I stand (well, sit) corrected.
  9. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

The Freightliner is also called a Sprinter.