1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rumble strip type vibration at 60+mph

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by musclecarboy, Jul 20, 2008.

1. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

I'm getting a wierd vibration/rumble from my t-case wen I'm doing 60mph, SCREAMS wen I'm doing 70. Its been doing this for a few weeks but hardly go faster than 50 so it hasn't been a concern, but now I've got a few cottage trips coming up and I need it fixed so I can blow by slow on the highway when I need to.

The reason I know its my t-case is because if you grab the handle (manual 4x4 shift) you can feel its vibrating. Any ideas??

p.s. '02 EC SB D/A, just shy of 200k (318,000km).
  2. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

first of all check the T case for fluid. if its really low that could be your problem.

if it is low. fill it run the truck a few min. drain it.

if it looks like metallic paint drop the T case and pull it apart. check all the bearings to make sure they are moving properly. if the fuild comes out metallic the metal shavings probobly jammed the bearings and when they have to move at high speeds they grind making a noise and shaking.

thats the only thing i can think of. i could be way off though. but i would start with that b/c its much cheaper than replacing the T case.
  3. musclecarboy

Whats the next step after that? I have the pump rub issue so I top up the fluid weekly but maybe damage occured already. I haven't had time to fix because I'm doing hardscapes 6 days a week.
  4. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

if the bearings are bad you'll have to replace them. chances are thats what it is. ive seen it happen in a lot of different vehicals.

its a pretty simple fix doesnt cost a whole lot.

and also just b/c you top off fluids weekly doesnt mean they arnt bad. if the fluid is burnt its not going to lubricate the gears. and they will grind and all the metal shavings will get clogged in abd behind the bearing causing them to stiffen up and grind at high RPM and speeds.

it doesnt take much time to change the fluid. pop off the drain plug it will drain it like 5 min. put the drain plug back in pop off the fill plug fill it up untill it starts to overflow.

all together should take less than 30 min.

and just check the old fluid when you drain it. if its full of metal shavings take it for a run once you change the fluid if it still does it you will have to pull apart the transfer case.

you could do all that and still have time to rebuild the whole T case in 1 day if you have the right tools. they are very simple.
  5. musclecarboy

Thats what's been stopping me, losing the truck for a day. I'll do the fluid test thing tomorrow to get an idea. What exactly would I order if I needed new bearings?