1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rule of thumb hyd. tank size

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by TJS, Jan 31, 2006.

1. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Hi People,
    I do not really post here much, but I read a lot of posts. Anyway I have a kinda of hybrid set up. I am running a Fisher mount with an older Diamond 8FT. plow. This thing is heavy. Anyway I had a belt driven set up for years on my 85K-10. It was the typical slowness everyone complains about. I was sick of revving the motor and brake torqing the thing to get the plow up faster. So I converted and get an Elect. fenner pump set up. I do not like that either. I have upgraged to a 140 amp alernator from a Pontiac Transport, I had to re-fab the alt bracket. I still have a little bit of a charging problem and the plow only moves a little faster than the old belt driven set up. I have adjusted the valves as well and still slow.

Here is what I want to do. Get a barnes belt driven pump from Northern or GP that flows about 4.0 gpm and fabricate brackets and such for it(I have a full shop in my garage..Bpt Machine, Lathe, TIG, MIG plasma..etc). I will then revert back to the joy stick and spool control that I kept. Here is my question. If the flow is 4.0 gpm (the fenner is like 1.3gpm I think) what tank size should I make. Again I can fabricate all this stuff so making a tank to fit the truck is not a problem. I heard the rule of thumb is double the flow. So therefore I would need a tank that hold 8 gallons. Is this correct ?

My goal is to have a fast acting plow without revving the motor and I do not want to use a fisher pump. I have spec'd out the pumps on McMaster-Carr and Northern and the max RPM the ones I am looking at are 4000 RPMs. I know when I am on the highway I do not turn 4K with this truck. Also these pumps put out more pressure as well as flow than that of the Fisher pumps.