1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rule/ Laws for lighting on Trucks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by John O., Jul 13, 2005.

1. John O.

John O. Member

someone had posted once the rules in Illinois about lighting law and regulations wondering if you could post that again or if someone else knows the laws

2. DJDarknez

DJDarknez Member

Taken directly from the IL Rules of da Road book:

LIGHTS: Certain lights have restrictions:

BACK-UP LIGHTS: Vehicles may have one or more backup lights. However, they may not be lighted when the vehicle is moving forward.

SPOTLIGHTS: Only one spotlight is allowed. When approaching another vehicle, it must be directed neither to the left nor more than 100 ft. ahead. Your vehicle may not have more than four 300 candlepower lights burning.

FLASHING or MOVING LIGHTS: Flashing or moving lights other than turn signals or hazard indicators are prohibited. This does not apply to police or emergency vehicles.

RED LIGHTS: Red lights visible from the front are prohibited. This does not apply to police or emergency vehicles.

RUNNING BOARD LIGHTS: These are limited to one on each side. They must be nonglare white or amber lights.

COWL or FENDER LAMPS: Only two lights are allowed. They may be nonglare, white or amber lights.

But, let's face it, you can get away with some stuff.. Good rule's of thumb:

No white / red flashing in the front. No blue flashing anywhere. Amber in front only.

I've seen white (clear) hide-a-way strobes in the rear, not sure how they get away with it.

3. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Hey JohnO,
    Are you still interested in the Vista I have for sale, 5 rotator, 2 rear flashers, take downs, alleys? Let me know on here or call (518)496-6400.

Jason

4. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

I live in IL and have clear hide aways in the front and back. Lots of people have them during the winter months. Cops dont mind if you have white lights, as long as your snowplowing.

5. DJDarknez

DJDarknez Member

Yeah, like I said, you can get away with some stuff. I've seen some clear's around O'Hare, I'm a little suprised that Chicago PD doesn't nail them for it.

All depends on where you live. Personally, I would go legit just to avoid any potential hassles, but that's just me! :)

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would bet there are Cities that have rules about:
    " 360 degree view, Amber flashing lights on while plowing."
    It just depends on the cops too, some could care, some are just looking to end the boredom and pull someone over.
    In Ohio:
    2 Tail lights & 2 brake lights
    No more then 2 head lights 2 fog/driving lights lit forward
    License plate light
    Turn signals
    Backup lights

7. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Last edited: Jul 21, 2005