1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rug question.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ServiceOnSite, Nov 7, 2009.

1. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

Ok i planned on taking the rug out of my 99 standard cab pick up and just putting down that bed liner stuff on the floor. like a line x material. I was told that if you take the rug out of the truck and you get in and out alot and leave snow or water on the floor it will fog up your windows alot more and will be harder to keep clear. I dont know if there is any truth to this. Just figured id ask if someone did this with ther truck and how it worked out.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It sounds like a great idea to me. The biggest problem with carpets is that they trap moisture and salt. you don't know you have a problem till you realize you now have Flintstones brakes.

I guess the part about fogging your windows might be true, I don't know.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You are going to need to remove more then the carpet. You will need to strip the interiour and tape up whatever is in side the truck or you will have it on everything.

4. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

You're going to pay A LOT in labor just to prep the truck for a spray liner. I have the weathertech/husky liners and they hold tons of water - and when I leave the truck overnight, there is no fog on the windows.

5. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Easy solution drill some larger size holes and put some rubber plugs in them. Works for Jeep.

6. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

I say your truck will be louder because the carpet absorbs sound, There is wiring run under the carpet you will have to do something with it. The air bag computer is under the drivers seat. If you are going to do anything, take the carpet out and get the rubber mat that is put in the cheap trucks.

7. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

i tawt

i kinda recall that the air bag weas a blonde on the passenger seat.lol

8. ServiceOnSite

i know about prepping things and such i just wanted to know if anyone has done this and if the water thing does or does not have anything to do with fogging up the windows or not. thanks:salute:

9. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

I've ran a truck without carpet one season, just metal. Water will puddle and freeze, either use rags or pull the floor plugs. Fog is more or less the same.

With noise it will be louder but depends on how thick the material is put on. I had my Jeep sprayed and it was not too loud compared to stock, but also the carpet is much thinner than your Chev's carpet.

Also if you go with the DIY roll on bedliner it will save a lot of time covering up everything but don't skimp on the scuffing of the material.

10. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I second the Husky liners. I have them in both of my 98 chevy trucks and I never have fogged up windows from water sitting in them. I've had the husky liners in my 98 K1500 for 8 1/2 years and my carpet still looks new underneath them. They hold a lot of water, mud, snow, etc and are easy to clean.

Wayne

11. ServiceOnSite

do you need a rug to go with the husky liners?? the reason why i want to get rid of the rug is the guy who owned it before me just trashed it and i belive it to be the smell that i cant wash out of the truck.

12. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

They work better with carpet but you don't really need it since the husky liners are fitted for your particular vehicle and fit in the floorboards pretty good. They may slide around a little if you don't have carpet because the little nubs on the bottom wouldn't have anything to grip on.

Wayne