1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rubbermaid Brute totes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Woodland, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

I need to draw on the wisdom and experience of the group. I am looking for a new system of storing/transporting salt and sand in the back of the truck. I do almost no sanding during regular snow storms (mostly residential accounts) and a very limited amount if we get a lot of ice, so the sand is for ballast mostly. I don't like leaving it in all the time however, since I use the bed during the "off times" and gas mileage. Right now I'm using cheap blue totes made by sterlite. I get them at a the local Reny's for like $6 a piece. Problem is, they are cheap and really don't hold up well. If they move around when its cold they break and the deform under the weight so the tops don't go on real well. I was thinking of ordering about a half dozen of the Rubbermaid Brute 14gal. totes to use instead, but would like a little feedback as to just how "durable" they are. I realize these are about 3 times as expensive, but I'm not opposed to spending good money for a good product. If they hold up its worth the extra. Anyone used them before for this purpose? Or perhaps have a better solution.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  2. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Ive got a bunch of the 70lb sand bags fom menards. Havent had to remove them yet but wouldnt be too hard if the need arose.

3. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

4. Snow-Con

Snow-Con Member

Don't know about salt/sand storeage, but I do know those rubbermaids are pretty damn tough, and if you get the ones where the lid is attached perm. would work fine for ballast. Of course, those sand bags are pretty good too.

5. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

I use empty compound buckets- filled w/sand they weigh about 60-70 pounds each and are pretty easy to put in and out of the truck.

6. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

Those are tough containers, but I do not believe they are water tight. I personally like to keep my sand and salt dry, helps to keep from freezing.

JMO

7. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

My uncle uses those rubbermaid totes for his salt. Has been for years and no issues. For the water issue, he gets some good weatherstripping from Lowes or whatever and puts that around the top lip of the container. Put the lid down and weather tight!!!