1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rubber tire as a push box. any experience?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by dakzaag, Nov 1, 2013.

1. dakzaag

dakzaag Junior Member

Hello and thanks for any responses that I might generate.

New to the site but not new to snow removal, I am looking at an outfit from Michigan that sells old mining tires converted into a scrapper. These are primarily used in the dairy industry to scrap manure out of the barns, but they also claim to work well in snow removal.

I have a mini loader that I would like to set up with a rubber tire scrapper and service a couple of small commercial accounts.

Google Mensch Manufacturing if you want to see what the set up looks like, but I would like to hear of anyone actually using one.

Nice place with lots of info and flame away if it makes you feel better, my skin is thicker than most.
  2. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

guy around here uses them and does a pretty good job.
  3. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

Depends what the prices Is I checked into one almost 3 grand it was a company call b.a.t imo better of with a push box
  4. dakzaag

dakzaag Junior Member

I figured 9-10 feet for the loader. Rubber wheel deal was $1300
  5. dakzaag

dakzaag Junior Member

Thought I would post a follow up on the scraper idea. I purchased a 9 footer for $1300 in November. We have had 5 snow events so far ranging from 1" to 8". The unit as a whole has worked really well. It is heavy, the rubber is about 3" thick and does a great job of cleaning.

In heavier and deeper snow, I struggle a bit with traction, mostly because the loader has turf tires with a lot of surface area, but I have been able to adjust easily enough.

If we get the forecast amounts tonight, the plow will be "paid" for by Monday. I am really glad I did not spend more on a push box.
  6. MattR

MattR Senior Member

While not needing something to this scale, I am very glad to hear that it is working good for you. I am building a set of wings for my plow and was wondering how well a section of tire would work for the cleaning/scraping edge on them.
  7. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm a little late, but welcome. I take it you use the same name at CT??

When you say you're using "turf tires", do you mean like the standard "bar" tires that are most common, or something else? If they're the "bar" style, you'll struggle a little bit and there's not much you can do with them. If they're a different style, you could certainly groove or sipe them for winter use............
  8. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

I have one that works great!
  9. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

What, no pictures?
  10. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Menards has something like that they use on their forklifts.
  11. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

farmers use them for scraping barn isles!