1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rubber snow foil how to mount it

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by pitbullpetey, Nov 23, 2006.

1. pitbullpetey

pitbullpetey Junior Member

i got a 8foot fisher brand new. a buddy told me to install a snow foil i got 3/8 thick conveyer rubber cut to 11 inches by 96 inc , can i just drill top plate and bolt it down with ss bolts with fender washers on top of rubber or will this get torn of or somthing, also it will stick out about 8 inches is that to much? is anyone has any ideas plz reply:cry: :cry:

2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

You could do it that way but I imagine it may rip even with the large washers.

I have only had the rubber deflectors and all of mine have had a strip of steel about 2 inch wide that runs the length of the blade.

Here are 2 pictures. One from the Boss site and one from the Western site.

On the Western one you can see the strip I am talking about and on the Boss pic you can see how the bolts run. Looks like there is about 3 more then how ever many cutting edge bolts there are.

deflectors_02.jpg

opt_rubberDEFLECT.jpg

deflectors_02.jpg

opt_rubberDEFLECT.jpg

3. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

11 inches is a little wide (it will flap up and down with the wind.. kinda like waving ) If you don't have to travel far or fast it is not even an issue .. also watch out for your temp rising
    As far as mounting the rubber ... I have always put another piece of metal on top of the rubber ..(make a sandwich) hopefully you have 3/8 or better belt to stand up to the wear and tear .. not sure what you are plowing but if you are plowing roads at high speed ... you can mount a piece of angle iron on top of the plow first then bolt the rubber to that with another piece of metal over it.. .. the rubber would be parallel to the face of the plow .. it keeps most all snow dust and spray of the windshield... hope this helps ..

4. pitbullpetey

pitbullpetey Junior Member

ty for the info ill try to get a 2inch strip of steel ,the rubber is thick so thats no a problem but as u said.. ill do the sanwich thing ty

5. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

I just installed a piece conveyor belt to my 8' fisher tonight. I drilled holes through to top of the plow, conveyor belt and a piece of steel 3/16" x 96" and bolted through the steel to the underside of the top of the plow. I used 1/4" bolts every 12". I had a snow foil on the plow before but it was breaking up and I thought this would work just as good.