1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rubber snow foil flaps up

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DieselSlug, Nov 26, 2013.

1. DieselSlug

DieselSlug PlowSite.com Addict

I really love using a snow foil. I've always wanted a steel one but am afraid it will take too much air flow away from my truck and give me overheating issues on the hills. So I've always stuck with rubber. However I can seem to get the rubber to stop flapping up when driving 55mph.

Is there any technique to keep it down? Its a fairly thick piece of rubber. Pics are included in my build, I would post but I'm on my mobile. Thanks!

2. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Could weld a little sheet metal to stick out a few inches over the blade.

3. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

We cut mine back a bit. I think it's about 6" wide now. No more problems.

4. DieselSlug

That may be something to look into. I'm going to see of I can find a deal on a cheap metal snow foil to try maybe.

5. DieselSlug

I will have to measure mine. I'm pretty sure its around that length. Its a good 1/4" thick piece.

6. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

cut it back it will stop. we had a the same issue with a universal flap we bought a few years ago.. I think it came 10" wide. we stripped it back to 6" and never had a problem again

7. DieselSlug

I will measure and report back.

8. cartec01

cartec01 Junior Member

Remember, If you have a full trip plow you don't want to have metal sticking out at the top. If that plow trips close to an object and those strips hit it, they are going to bend, or the object might get pierced. What I did and it works flawlessly is take the rubber from my prowings (I had replaced with poly) cut it into strips about 1.5" wide x about the same measurement as the width of my deflector. I bolted the one side using the existing bolts and hole that my deflector uses (but about ever other one not one support for each bolt) and put a hole through the deflector and support at the other end and zip tied them together. The deflectors are now plenty ridged for highway travel, but still can get and flex if you hit something.

9. DieselSlug

I finally measured the flap and it is about 7.5" in length. It seems to be flipping up worse and worse. For now the plan is to just take it off. Its been so cold out lately I don't have a heated/insulated garage so its rough.

10. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

My kid ran two chains on his worked good . One on each side

11. DieselSlug

I was really thinking about doing that but theiddle will still flap up.
    I tuck the edges of the foil Behring my pro wings. When I get above 45 the middle lifts and flops up, then the outsides flip up.
    The piece of rubber I'm using is from an old conveyer belt and is about 3/8" thick.

12. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I seems work on his . His is made from belt too. Looks a little goofy but keeps the snow off the hood,

13. South Seneca

It will take you about a minute with a sharp box cutter knife to cut that back to 5 to 6 inches. Not hard at all. Why deal with it?

14. DieselSlug

I'm going to have to take it off to cut it. Thibk trimming 2" off will solve the problem? Something inside my head thinks it will flip up even if I cut more off?

15. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I used to run little chains on the ends and screw them back to the blade

16. South Seneca

Take it off? Naaa. Take a pair of vice grips and clamp onto the front outside corner. Decide where to make your cut. Hold the rubber with the pliers and cut with a good sharp utility knife.

Really, this is a two minute job. Cut it and put it out of your mind.

17. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Why not just buy the poly one that Western makes?

18. DieselSlug

I think my biggest problem is that I'm anal. If its not a perfect straight cut it will bug me bad, haha.

19. DieselSlug

I just got a mill supply mag and was looking at the poly one. Looks nice. If I can't get this figured out I may go that route.

20. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

I have also done the chain idea and it works great. with one on each side the middle doesnt lift really at all.